squirrels

Reaction score
I planted tons of tomatoes last year and I have squirrels that got alot of them. and suggestions for keeping their little claws to scurry the other direction? I really don't want to have to put up a circus tent of netting. :|

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There's got to be something you can interplant with the tomotoes that they don't like. Or maybe something that will mask the smell of a tomato plant?
Good luck with that... The only way I know to get rid of them is with a BB Gun or a trap.

joebwe25

Leafing Out
Reaction score
If you plant basil and marigolds around the tomatoes it should keep them away.
We had LOTS of tomato plants last year and we didn't have a single squirrel!
Hope it works!

coxhw

Sprout
Reaction score
Squirrel Stew, Fried Squirrel. Squirrel Dumpling's:p

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Huh.. never had a squrrel go after my tomatoes... guess they are gaurded by a pair of cats who think it's funny to watch the squirrel hightail it.

Reaction score
hee hee ;)

Stewed squirrel with tomatoes, oooh better yet squirrel stuffed tomatoes, wait! Tomatoes stuffed with squirrel! Now about the cats, my chickens are pretty much afraid of them and my dog and even squirrels, and I don't own a gun, unless you count a glue gun.:rolleyes:

I did interplant with marrigolds and garlic, they just grabbed the green ones and ran off or ate the ripe ones on the vine. I was hoping for something like the spooky eyes that birds are scared of or some amusing trap or deturrant. I thought glue strips would be fun. See them scampering about cluttering the whole way. oooh, maybe then I could finally fulfill my dream to have the first all squirrel chorus line, complete with taps. :lol:

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My mother would sure like to know. Her tomatoes have been hit really really hard by squirrels ever since the neighbors and their cat moved away. That cat was one heckuva hunter. Marigolds, basil, Irish Spring soap, cayenne spray, chickenwire fencing, and running out of the house shouting a lot do not work.

(edited to add: oh yeah, neither do hanging CDs or an inflatable owl).

Pat