Starting Chives

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Is there some secret to starting chives? I treat them like any of my other sprouts, heat on the bottom, and covered loosely with plastic wrap, but I can't seem to even sprout them. Do they need some special treatment?

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I sewed mine outside after the ground was warm and they grew like crazy! I finally had to beat them to death to keep them from taking over that section of the garden. lol

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
try pre soaking them in warm water first...I know the seeds are small but chive is really one of the easiestsherb to grow... It will try to tak over where ever you put it..My chive plant has lived at 4 different houses over a 30 year span...I cant kill it...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If they are like onions they can lose viability when they are above about 90.

If there's no chance of that - I think they may also be like onions and lose viability fairly quickly with age. Think the seed may be too old?

Soil Temperature
Seed Storage and Viability

I can't remember anything special about starting chives. They've been out there for a dozen years or more. One of the few things that do fairly well in the shade.

Steve

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I think maybe I got some bad seeds. I now see what may be blue mold growing on top. But mold isn;t growing on any of my other seeds. I think I am going to buy new pack.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I planted most of mine inside. Most of them didn't come up, or came up and DIED in about 2 weeks. I have 2 that seem to be ok... but are really sluggish in growth... there are only like 2 or 3 grass shoots, and I planted them in December!!!! GOSH, what a drag.

I'm going to throw down a few seeds next to the transplants in their own pot outside. I can't wait to eat these though... I got the Garlic Chives for my pasta sauces.... I'll have plenty of tomatoes to mix them with :p Yummmmmmmm

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have never had good luck with onion chives from seed. I buy them as plants and let them reseed themselves. But, our heat kills most of them off in the summer. I have some blooming right now.

Garlic chives on the other hand are a WEED in my garden!! I dig them up and give them away. The flower heads are great in salads or as a garnish in soups.

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
my chives sprouted within days and are growing fantastically these days. i didnt have any trouble with them at all. In fact even the ones I just broadcasted in the herb garden have sprouted successfully with just a little water.

Maybe too much heat, or perhaps just old seed, because it was really an effortless thing for me, easier than any other small seeded plant i've ever started. i cant get lettuce to grow for squat.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I never seem to have a lot of luck with onion chives. Sow a lot of seeds and only a few come up and those look like little weeds for what seems like forever. But I continue to try. Maybe this will be the year they really do take off and grow like weeds for me.

Latest posts