Starting my own fig and blueberry bush/tree

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My grandfather planted a fig bush from a cutting from the old homestead on his new rental property more than 20 years ago. He lived there and had several mobile homes for rent. Years passed and we all picked and enjoyed the fig tree. Sadly my grandfather passed away 5 years ago and this property was passed down to a family member. She is now wanting to sell it.

1) I would like to take some cuttings from this tree (it's well over 20 feet tall with a thick trunk) and propagate them for my yard.

2) My neighbor has blueberry bushes which are very old, how would I propagate them or would they have little starts underneath them?

I need to know what to do. I know nothing other than picking and preserving the fruit.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I find that blueberries send up shoots from the root that you can cut and plant.

Figs are sooo easy. I would imagine cuttings from new wood at a node in potting soil would do with a little rooting hormone? really curious. I have a propagatioh textbook from my school days I will check.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
To aid in getting the cuttings to take root, use willow water. To make willow water, take cuttings off willow trees, about 2 feet of the tips of the branches. Cut into 1" pieces and soak in water 24 hours. The willow has high levels of rooting hormone and using the willow water will speed your fig and blueberry cuttings taking root.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
baymule said:
To aid in getting the cuttings to take root, use willow water. To make willow water, take cuttings off willow trees, about 2 feet of the tips of the branches. Cut into 1" pieces and soak in water 24 hours. The willow has high levels of rooting hormone and using the willow water will speed your fig and blueberry cuttings taking root.
Is that why willows will take root ANYWHERE?

smileyfacecat

Leafing Out
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
baymule said:
^^ Yes. My neighbor lost two curly willow trees when Irene blew threw. I've never seen him look so relieved about losing trees (he use to be a landscaper). However, much to his dismay, the few branches that remained on the ground, after the decapitated trees were hauled away, re-rooted! Now, he has four small curly willow trees that just won't seem to die.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
smileyfacecat said:
sparkles2307 said:
baymule said:
^^ Yes. My neighbor lost two curly willow trees when Irene blew threw. I've never seen him look so relieved about losing trees (he use to be a landscaper). However, much to his dismay, the few branches that remained on the ground, after the decapitated trees were hauled away, re-rooted! Now, he has four small curly willow trees that just won't seem to die.
We do that too, but really works best with new growth willow in the spring. I've used that, rooting hormone, and plain asprin to help in rooting.

However, figs are SO easy to root I'm told (I'm trying this now) that you just need to stick them in potting soil and keep moist and thats enough for them.