Still Getting Stuff

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We're still getting beans, peas, and okra from the garden and we've not taken up the sweet 'taters yet. We've got a whole 10x4 box of those that I'm waiting for the first frost to kill the vines before we take them out. I've let a good bit of the okra go to waste this fall just because it grows so doggone fast. A lot of it has been frozen and put up in freezer bags for fried okra and soups. The peas will make our New Years dinner along with the collards we planted last month. Last year we took the last of our collards out on Valentines Day. Can't wait!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good to see you Jim! The only thing I have from this spring is zuchinni. It is just starting to get some powdery mildew. Will probably take it out next month. Everything else was recently planted and is still too young to harvest.

Oh, I forgot to mention still getting tomatoes.

Mary

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Me too. Still getting beans, peppers, tomatoes, and fall things like round red turnip and watermelon radish, lemon and thai basil, tyfon greens, and whatever those greens are that volunteered after July's harvest.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had that same problem with okra too, Jim. Know what else is good (if it's up your alley)...pickled okra with a little hot pepper thrown in. I could gobble up a pint of those in one sitting. Really easy to make and uses up lots of okra (pick 'em young and tender). I buy the Mrs. Wages kosher dill mix and add my own hot peppers to it, waterbath to can.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I've had that same problem with okra too, Jim. Know what else is good (if it's up your alley)...pickled okra with a little hot pepper thrown in. I could gobble up a pint of those in one sitting. Really easy to make and uses up lots of okra (pick 'em young and tender). I buy the Mrs. Wages kosher dill mix and add my own hot peppers to it, waterbath to can.
journey - I like the idea of using the kosher dill mix and peppers. I usually use a clove of garlic and a couple of dill sprigs.

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
That stuff's like candy! I open a quart jar and I can't quit until it's gone or the wife pries it out of my hands. I took some in about a month ago and gave it to a few okra lovers at work and one guy ate the entire quart before the end of the day. When I asked him about sharing it with his wife he asked for another quart. Go figure!!!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh! Kinda liked pickled Okra and peppers! I love it, and never even tried it, or heard of it!

:drool

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Oh! Kinda liked pickled Okra and peppers! I love it, and never even tried it, or heard of it!

:drool
Oh, it is yummy! You have to like okra though - some people don't like it at all - other people love it. Okra was a staple in our house when I was growing up, so you had to like it.

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There's no in-between on okra. You either love it or hate it. I love it just about any way you can fix it. I'm like Bufford 'Bubba' Blue, the big black guy from Forrest Gump. "You have fried okra, you have steamed okra, you have gumbo what has okra in it..." I like it anyway you make it. My Mama used to make a big pot of field peas (probably black-eyed) and when the peas were just about tender she'd season them and then add whole okra pods fanned out in a star pattern on top of the peas. She'd let them steam until they were tender and then she'd put them on the table. Now I'm the oldest of eight kids and only me and my Mama would eat the okra this way. So we got it all to ourselves. Even Daddy wouldn't touch it and that's hard to believe. And to this day I can't understand how someone can eat raw oysters and turn their noses up to steamed okra. They'll say it's too slimy, like raw oysters aren't. They don't know what they're missing... You either love it or hate it. Personally I hope more people hate it 'cause that leaves more for me!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jim, believe it or not, I've never had Okra! The only thing I know about it is that's it's slimy. I don't eat raw oysters because of that reason. Is it always slimy even after cooking? Does it taste like cactus? I make a good cactus salsa but it's canned cactus. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Mary

Latest posts