Story time...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I mentioned to thistle awhile back that I had an adventure with a skunk. At her request, I will tell you about it. Generally speaking things are pretty "casual" around here. We don't get too nervous if the cat brings in a live creature, or if some chicken feathers end up on the floor. The one exception to this is once a year, when my relatives and business partners come to "inspect" the storage biz. At this time all things are cleaned to perfection and the weeds are all pulled. This requires weeks of nervous energy and angst.
So, this year I am doing the breakfast dishes and look out the window to see one of the dogs barking at the coop. This does not happen- so I send Dh down to discover the reason. A skunk is hanging out in the coop. A couple years ago this happened- and it was a baby-so no spraying. I assumed this one was young as well.
I enter the coop (still wearing pjs) and try out my best skunk whisperer act. This resulted in my being sprayed in the face. Luckily I wear glasses- cause I sure wouldn't have wanted that in my eyes! Well now the yard stinks to high heaven (and so does yours truly). Inspection happened and I had no choice but to make a joke out of the situation- and all was fine.
In the evening after inspection, I went back out to see if the skunk had vacated coop on its own. Nope. So now I try to herd it out the chicken door. This does not work. I am not the most patient person and now I was mad....So, I grabbed the skunk by the tail and tossed it out the door. I figure it will try to get under the coop, so I go to investigate. Yup, half way under. So, I once again grab the skunk by the tail and attempt to pull it out. Not happening. I now grab the skunk by its body and tail and pull it out and hold onto it, while I go to the woods and toss it away from me.
Kind of lost track of how many times I was sprayed, but lets say around 4! The smell lingered in my house and office for a couple of weeks! And there ends my adventure with a skunk! Skunk whisperer will not be an entry on my resume...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
:lol: Lesa! You are amazing! :lol:
That's a great story! I could just picture you in your pjs taking charge....until the skunk did, oh what a great scene that would have been to witness, haha!

.....grabbing it by the tail! Oh I'm laughing so hard.... who would have thought that sweet Lesa in her vintage hat could man handle a spraying skunk? Oh dear....:lol:

Glad your inspection went well in spite of your aroma, I bet it was done in record time. :D

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's hilarious, Lesa! I can just picture you steaming mad and swinging that skunk by the tail. So much for his defense mechanism. He said "stay away" and you responded with "BRING IT ON!" :gig

We usually run out with a shotgun too, but most often for opossums. Those suckers have some wicked teeth and I've had them literally rip legs and wings off of chickens. I've heard of people having pet skunks (de-scented), so they must not be quite so fierce.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wrangler is right!

I don't think it would ever have occurred to me to just grab him!

Oh, I had a friend in elementary school who had a descented skunk. He wasn't any fun. That critter would sleep all day and only come out of his box at night. They were not very happy about how he'd get into things after the lights were off.

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
OMG remind me to never rile you! No way would I have made a grab for the tail. (Especially knowing full well I would get skunked doing it!) You are AMAZING. :bow

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, you are one brave women! I would have quickly run the other way! :hide

What was your husband doing all this time?

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, you are one brave women! I would have quickly run the other way! :hide

What was your husband doing all this time?

Mary

That's what i was wondering!
Hopefully he was manning the camera.
tee hee smiley.gif

Latest posts