straw bale prep

spookybird

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought there was a thread for straw bale gardening here but can't find it so will post my ? here.

Would it be a good or bad idea to buy straw now and leave it to break down over the winter then put the fertilizer on in the spring?
Thanks.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last weekend I cut all the strings, pulled up the trellis, pulled any remaining plants and tossed them into the alley between my bale rows, then pitchforked the bales on top. A couple days later, added 2 wheelbarrows of cow manure/hay. The straw-bale-garden is closed for the winter. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last weekend I cut all the strings, pulled up the trellis, pulled any remaining plants and tossed them into the alley between my bale rows, then pitchforked the bales on top. A couple days later, added 2 wheelbarrows of cow manure/hay. The straw-bale-garden is closed for the winter. :)

Are you going to plant in bales again next year Cane?

I popped all the kids bales and spread the straw out and started dumping corral cleanings in there, but the flakes are really hard to push a full wheelbarrow over, so the area around the gates are the most fertilized. :oops:

I have been too distracted lately to pop the bales from my area and finish the garden cleanup. I'm hoping some of my neighbors will want that straw and come get it. I'm afraid next spring I'll have a big mess to sort out before I can plant again.:\

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I can afford the straw, yes.
My 'grand plan' is to EVENTUALLY use almost all of the yard for garden, coop, fire pit, anything but lawn.
Next year will not have a tarp under it and I'm not sure what to do about the grass...
I thought about spacing them far enough to run the mower between...
Or trying to mulch so heavy that the grass dies...
25r30wi[1].gif

Wondering if vinegar spray around the base of the bales will affect what's growing in them?

Anyway, there were a lot of things that I didn't try this year. And some things I want to try differently.

If you go out with a pitchfork and just 'disturb' those rotting flakes, they might flatten out better.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
If you can buy spoiled straw do so. We large animal owners need the unspoiled straw for bedding, and they will sell cheap. They are held together with plastic baling twine and it will not adversely affect your gardening.

Latest posts