Strawberry campaign 2015

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We picked 90lbs of berries in about 6 hours. Not bad considering we had a 7 year old, a 2 year old, and a 7 week old. Yes was over 2 days.

Hope everybody else got a good batch too. Mind you thus was at our favorite u pick. They have 25 acres of just strawberries.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
hats funny the u pick farms around here only had limited strawberries due to the wicked winter...
congrats on your pickings.......

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm with you @Nyboy that's why we go. The local u pick also sells them day of picked. It's still by the lbs but it's so many quarts and you get charged a $15 prepicked fee. However for some folks it's worth it since they don't need so many.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a lot of berries! I figure it would be well over 100 lbs, factoring in those which never make it into the bucket. ;)

I did better this year than I ever have before at the U-pick. Now that my kids are a little bigger the folks that own it finally let me venture off from the kiddie row! We picked...er, well, let me rephrase...I picked 2 gallons which was enough for 3 batches of freezer jam and 1 pie. :) This place we go also sells at the farmers market and has their own hired pickers, so what we get is the gleanings. Sometimes those that remain are small and sparse. I think I'm going to put in another patch at home this fall because it's easier for me to get as many as I need.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our U-picks around here are so expensive...you can buy the strawberries cheaper at Wally world. Which is pretty sad, really. I have to say that didn't stop me from taking the grand daughters to the U-pick farm this year. They just love the idea that we can eat all we want while throwing a few in the basket. Hmmmm. Maybe that's why they are so expensive?? :rolleyes:

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know we have it good just didn't realize HOW good. We paid $1.29/lbs which is a steal in my book.

NyBoy is right the store bought ones are not worth our time.

We don't normally go that hog wild but we were OUT of strawberry jam. Usually we pick about 2/3s of that to keep a steady supply but the pregnancy took it's toll on my wife so we had to make up for it this year. Even still in that time frame I think we did pretty darn good.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never made it to the u-pick when they where picking this year. The few jars of jam from last year will run out soon. :( The season was short and we went on vacation that week. Will need to make some blackberry jam while berries are plentiful. (So we won't miss the strawberry jam so much!) @Jared77 you where very brave going picking with 3 little ones! About 2 years ago I was picking when a young mother turned her back on her 2 year old daughter and when she looked back the little one was Tap Dancing in the FULL flat of berries! I thought she was going to sit in the row and cry. Poor dear.

Latest posts