strawberry jam with splenda

watsonlane1

Sprout
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for strawberry jam made with splenda? I made one batch and had to use pectin with it. I've never used pectin so i'm not sure if it came out right or not. Tasted good but now that its been in the jar for several weeks it's lost the "jammy" consistantcy. Keep in mind I have them at an fruit stand in florida so it does get hot......HELP! Thanks!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Now here's the issue, splenda, though its sweet like sugar and made from sugar is NOT sugar. In many cases only sugar is good for jam making. In some cases you can do low sugar and sugar free since there is a good amount of natural sugars in the fruit itself. However, with jam... its no so much the case when using a replacement!

You are better off using a low-sugar or no sugar recipe (there is a low/no sugar pectin available for this). But no matter what you think, because sugar is the preservative you need for jam... no/low sugar recipes do not keep as long. Only months compared to the year or more w/ regular sugar jams.

From what you've said, your jam is already losing its jamminess from the splenda. Its lived out its shelf live it appears.

P.s. - I did also see that splenda requires you use a no/low sugar pectin for it to work correctly. The shelf life isn't as long still, but its the same with no sugar recipes too. Do you use regular pectin or the no sugar required kind?

watsonlane1

Sprout
Reaction score
so, when it looses its "jelly" texture, its no good to eat? I did use the no sugar pectin.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
watsonlane1 said:
so, when it looses its "jelly" texture, its no good to eat? I did use the no sugar pectin.
I wouldn't say its unedible at this point, probably unappetizing though.

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I use the low sugar and do 1/2 and 1/2 with splenda and sugar and it stores and works just fine. I also put zucchini in my jam for a more healthy jam.

I haven't used olny splenda YET...but I will be....

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dipence is right, I've done further looking and even slenda suggests you do 50% splenda, and 50% sugar with a no sugar pectin to get it to be a good set consistancy.

I think all that is wrong is the texture, I'm guessing it should be still fine to eat.

watsonlane

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I went ahead and took it off the shelf and figure i'm going to give up on making it until I can practice it a little more. Thanks!

Latest posts