struck gold today.....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
last year dw found a new flavor of A1 sauce that we all love, we went though that bottle in a heart beat picked up another, that bottle got used up. she went back multiple times none on the shelfs the store quit carrying it, so she would look in other stores while out could never find it.. never thought about till thursday when we had steak for dinner...

did some googling found out that they stopped making it....grrrrrrr looked on amazon for laughs found it..
:lol: every vendor was selling it for top dollar<4 bottles was 28.00 +shipping> basically 9.00 per bottle and wallyworld.com was selling it by the once<2.89 28.90 per bottle>.:confused:

did some more googling found a grocery chain called publix that said they had it in high point,nc and it was located in alse 3...<4.89> so while the kitchen is torn apart we have been going out to breakfast on sat and sun. we went down to carolina dinner for breakfast... great food.

afterwards we drove down to publix, wow it's a really nice store they need to put one out here. we walked over to asle 3 how about that there it was sitting on the top shelf grabbed the four bottles, went to the register the g/m was running it...you all having a cook out today?
no we have not been able to find it anywhere except you....

so it looks like we might have the four last bottles in the triad area...
IMG_2648.JPG

if you like a good sauce on a cut of meat with just a little hint of jesty heat on your lip look around for it.. buy it

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me with the Roasted Garlic flavor a few years ago, (and the Canadian Club steak sauce, and The Murray's (they still make that one, but they changed the formula) . I think we are both targets of Holmes's law ("If you like it, they'll stop making it")

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me with the Roasted Garlic flavor a few years ago, (and the Canadian Club steak sauce, and The Murray's (they still make that one, but they changed the formula) . I think we are both targets of Holmes's law ("If you like it, they'll stop making it")

that's the dang truth......

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I eat my steak PLAIN! I want to taste the steak not the sauce !!! HORRORS ;) Anyway, I will keep my eye open for any that may be lingering on store shelves here.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
TOMATO PUREE (WATER, TOMATO PASTE), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, VINEGAR, CORN SYRUP, SALT, CAYENNE PEPPER, SUGAR, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF RED BELL PEPPERS, RAISIN PASTE, MODIFIED CORNSTARCH, GARLIC, CHILI PEPPERS, CRUSHED ORANGE PUREE, SPICES (CONTAINS CELERY), DRIED ONIONS, DRIED GARLIC, CARAMEL COLOR, XANTHAN GUM, NATURAL FLAVOR.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Me too Carol, other than a little seasoning before grilling, no sauce for me.
@majorcatfish when you finally run out of your favorite sauce look at the ingredients and maybe using the original A1 add a few of the ingredients in the sweet chili garlic to change it into the one that has become your favorite. You might not match exactly but I bet you'll come pretty darn close, I do this all the time.

There used to be a favorite seafood restaurant we frequently went to. They had the most amazing scallop casserole in a 3 cheese, hint of vodka cream sauce on the menu. Of course they wouldn't give up the recipe soooo, after a few tries I think I got pretty close. Served it to my SIL and hubby when they were out on a visit from Ontario, she loved it and asked me for the recipe, I said I don't have one, it's a bit of this and that. Tell you what, I'll make it again before you go home, you can sit and watch, she did pen and paper in hand.

I'm a gal when she really likes a meal will go track the chef/ cook down and beg for the recipe, all they can say is no.... I admit it I have no shame.... We had a curry in a restaurant owned by friends of our kids, it wasn't the chickpea curry although it was very tasty it was that little pop up bread thingy served with it. I ended up in the kitchen and the east Indian lady who was cooking there that particular day showed me how to make it.

I widdled my recipe for rhubarb chutney out of the owner of The Crow and Gate a little English pub here, we used to go quite often for their ploughman's lunch.

Annette

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Somewhere, in the depths on one of our freezers, there is a pint container of sauce. It traditionally came with the Mozzarella en Carzzoa (sort of a fried mozzarella sandwich). One night I wheedled the pint out of them for my mozzarella sticks and it turned out I didn't need it that night,so popped it in the freezer to keep it fresh.

Shortly after that, the restaurant went out of business (or should I say, the chain,since there were three). Now that pint of sauce is the only sample I have to work out the formula (I know it has tomatoes, probably some cream (it's opaque orange) and a bit of anchovy.

I've thought of going online and looking up carozza sauce, but there seems to be no agreement on what goes in, or even which sauce to use (I've seen straight marinara, brown anchovy, white anchovy, a kind of super thick franchese (which I also can't get anymore).

Other losses

Roast Pork rolls (Magic Wok, Pleasantville) pork stew wrapped in beancurd skin and then deep fried (I can everything except the frying point, I don't know how they fried the sloppy liquid)

Duck Dumplings (Masago, Mt. Kisco) still waiting on what will replace that place.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Was the sauce anything like this...
A tin of Anchovy Fillets
A good pour of Olive Oil
1-2 Garlic Cloves finally minced
A few sprigs of Parsley finely chopped

Mozzarella in carrozza is traditionally served just like this, perhaps with lemon wedges on the side. But I like to gild the lily by serving them with a bit of anchovy sauce: you empty a tin or jar of anchovies with some olive oil in a saucepan over moderate heat. Stir until the anchovies have broken up and are sizzling, then add a tablespoon or so of water. The anchovies will almost instantly form a smooth sauce. Add finely minced garlic (a garlic press works well here) and parsley. Stir once, then remove from the heat. You can spoon this sauce on top or around the sandwiches or, since anchovies can be ‘controversial’, in a sauce boat for those who want it.

Or there's this one...

Cherry Tomato Sauce
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 shallot, thinly sliced
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
¼ cup chicken broth
6 basil leaves, cut into a chiffonade
½ tsp oregano leaves
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1 Kosher salt to taste

1. Heat the olive oil in a medium sauté pan on medium heat. Add the shallot and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are just soft, 5 to 10 minutes. Add a little chicken broth to help create a more sauce-like texture. Add the basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes and season with a little salt. If using right away, reduce to a simmer and keep warm. Otherwise, you can refrigerate the tomatoes and reheat them when you’re ready to serve them.
Maybe it'll be a mix and match, start concocting ;) .

Latest posts