Successful Raspberry Propagation...

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi-ya Peeps!
We're in the process of selling Gramma's house, and before we do I would like to "acquire" some of her raspberries. There isn't a whole grove of canes -- she just had a small, thin row of them in a flowerbed and they come up though various other plants, ivy, and ROCK -- so I don't want to really do a lot of digging to get them. Has anyone had success w/ taking new growth cuttings and rooting them, as opposed to digging up bare roots? I don't want to make a mess of the flowerbed since the house is already listed...

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
How about tugging on them to see what pulls up easily. They don't root very deeply. But I think your idea of taking cuttings is a good one.
I've never done it, but raspberries are so vigorous it seems like they would root readily.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you think you'll have a few months before it goes on the market, you might try bending them over and burying the tips (or set a rock on them). They'll send out roots where they touch the ground, then you can dig those up a lot easier. Maybe take cuttings too, in case the sale goes quickly. As I understand it, they need a lot of humidity/misting to root cuttings. I saw a good Youtube video not long ago. Let me see if I can find it....

Latest posts