Sugar Cane

Mossy Rock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I live in California and I was wondering does anyone grow sugar cane and have had any success, I don't want to grow alot but would like a nice patch. I see where it is growed in the south/eastern states and Hawaii, I had it while I was in Asia and loved it, it was very juicy. I believe it spread by it's root system? any info would be appreciated no matter where your from.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We used to have it growing in L.A. It was fun to cut and eat. You could buy canes in some stores there, but it was nicer to have your own.

I'm not sure where you are, but if it's in the south, then I know you can grow it.

Yes, it will spread like that. All I've seen is contained, mostly in brick boxes, next to houses.

Be aware, however, that it get's tall. I mean, maybe 10' tall. They used to grow to the roofline.

Basically, as long as your climate is favorable to them, they are weeds. So think carefully before you decided on where to grow it.

Enjoy, we used to love having them to harvest, and you already know that you like them! :)

Latest posts