Summer Tanager

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have this beautiful red bird hanging out in my garden. He perches on the fence or on a wood corner post. I snapped his picture and looked him up. He is a Summer Tanager and eats insects. Never see him at the bird feeder. He is welcome for as long as he wants to stay.

36444B2C-7E4E-4985-961C-93A73AE1EE56.jpeg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wonderful! Pretty bird.

I'm still happy that you have lots of Meadow Larks, since it must have been the Starlings that ran them outta this neck of the woods, 40 years ago.

I learned something looking up your Tanagers, Bay'. Our Western Tanager @thistlebloom , is now classified as a Cardinal ..! (link)

I don't really see them around home. They seem to like it up in the foothills and near water. I guess if they are Cardinals, I can stop complaining about local sports teams named "the Cardinals" even though there isn't one of those birds in a thousand miles!

These sports enthusiasts should be naming their teams something sensible like "the Western Tanagers," "the Meadow Larks," or "the Yellow-headed Blackbirds."

:) Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have lots of cardinals. They eat the black oil sun flower seeds like crazy. We love them.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anyone see painted buntings on their property? I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen one for real.

Latest posts