Sun burned seedlings?

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Uh oh.....I got a little excited with my new little tomato seedlings. I started them on 3/30 so I really only had seed leaves, not true leaves, but I still let them bake in the sun to the point of being burned.

Is there anything that I can do to help them repair themselves, or do I just sit back and watch what happens?

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You could try shading them a bit,and see if they keep growing.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If they are just seed leaves burned and they are not even 2 weeks old.... I personally would go ahead and keep them around if you have the space, but go ahead and re-plant. and wait till they are a few inches tall before taking them out for sunshine. The second bunch will catch up and bypass burnt ones in no time.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think getting the hardening off part right, is the most difficult part of starting your own transplants. I wouldn't start my tomatoes inside if I lived in SoCal. Just plant them outside and they will be used to your weather, as they grow. Obviously, if you are scheduled for a cold night, you might have to cover. If you are really sure it is too early to plant directly in the garden, try a cold frame situation. Hoodat, who is in SoCal, already has flowers on his plants, so I am pretty sure you could start in the garden. Good luck! Happy Gardening!

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok, for what it is worth.....someone on another gardening forum suggested that I keep them out in the sun and allow their true leaves to come in with the sun and I should have no problems.

So I put them outside in a spot where they will get partial sun. I will update the result in a few days when I see if they have recovered or I have indeed killed them!

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, if you are in so cal... you probably don't need to start inside at all. Up here in WA, everyone starts inside about 2 months early or you'd never get anything off of even a cherry tomato. Cold burn is what usually happens here.

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I ended up buying all of my maters except these. I only started these because I couldn't find starts anywhere.

We really are lucky to have great selections, so you are right....hardly worth the effort to start your own here, unless you can't find what you want.

As soon as these little guys get a bit sturdier, they will go into a nice big pot.

Thanks for the feedback!

oesdog

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Dace said:
Uh oh.....I got a little excited with my new little tomato seedlings. I started them on 3/30 so I really only had seed leaves, not true leaves, but I still let them bake in the sun to the point of being burned.

Is there anything that I can do to help them repair themselves, or do I just sit back and watch what happens?
Don;t feel too bad - I just cremated a whole batch of brocolli seedlings.
Left them to burn at the top of the greenhouse. UGH!!!
They are quite dead! I have to start over!!!!!
Oesdog :/ hope you have better luck with the Tomatos

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just did the same with a group of cucumbers. Luckily, I have OODLES of seeds, it's just the right time for planting seeds, AND they grow like crazy so I'll end up with too many anyway. :D

Good luck to ya!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is this scheme for direct-seeding tomatoes in the garden? Just the right moment occurs during the year; a perfect location is determined; some soil is removed; a seed is dropped, covered, grows; a tomato plant flowers, develops fruit, which ripen . . . Is that the process?

If an 56 day-old seedling requires another 90 days to fully mature its crop -- is it possible that nothing will interfere with that process over the course of 146 days? Five months?

Are there no other concerns than early cold? Wind. Extreme heat. Drought. Scantily clad women on roller skates. A neighbor's dog chasing another neighbor's cat. Home-owner struggling with a lawn chair. Steve dragging a garden hose.

And, I suppose this paradise has an ocean view?

Steve
edited so you can click on the ♪♫ :rainbow-sun ♪ ♫ rainbow sun. turn on your speakers!