Survival of my indoor starts in the garden

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am going to start some of my seeds indoors for the first time this year. I was at bee keeping class last night and was talking to a couple of guys about starting seeds.

J said that he had good luck getting his seeds to start but once he put them in the garden they never survived. He said he hardened them off too.

So now I am worried that even if I get my seeds started inside, harden them off, and plant them outside they are going to die.

Anyone have any really good advice for me? I do plan to harden them off, I also plan to put a small fan on them once they start inside to strenghthen the stems.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Did he say WHY his plants died? There could be a million reasons, bugs, disease, a late freeze, not enough water, too much water, lack of nutrients in soil, birds, pH level too high or low, maybe the soil was contaminated with a herbacide... You get the idea. My advice would be to make sure your seedlings are as healthy as possible, harden them off properly, and maybe give them a little boost of well rotted compost in the planting holes. If there is a latr freeze you can cover your young plants to keep them safe.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't let J's experience scare you... It is perfectly possible to start seeds indoors and have successful plants. There is also a huge learning curve- so don't be too hard on yourself if you don't have 100% success! The first advice that I would offer- is don't bother to start seeds indoors, that can be direct planted. This would include all the cold weather and root crops. Starting tomatoes indoors is usually a good idea-since they really need a warmer environment. If you use lights, and the fan idea- and are very careful about hardening off, you should do fine. I also strongly recommend any kind of cold frame set-up. They are great for hardening off, if nothing else. Good luck and Happy Gardening!

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The Mama Chicken said:
Did he say WHY his plants died? There could be a million reasons, bugs, disease, a late freeze, not enough water, too much water, lack of nutrients in soil, birds, pH level too high or low, maybe the soil was contaminated with a herbacide... You get the idea. My advice would be to make sure your seedlings are as healthy as possible, harden them off properly, and maybe give them a little boost of well rotted compost in the planting holes. If there is a latr freeze you can cover your young plants to keep them safe.
No he didn't say why, I will see him tomorrow night and ask. I have a very large compost pile my FIL has worked for decades and it has not been used in the last 10 yrs or so. I will be sure to add that to my indoor starts. Thx

Lesa said:
Don't let J's experience scare you... It is perfectly possible to start seeds indoors and have successful plants. There is also a huge learning curve- so don't be too hard on yourself if you don't have 100% success! The first advice that I would offer- is don't bother to start seeds indoors, that can be direct planted. This would include all the cold weather and root crops. Starting tomatoes indoors is usually a good idea-since they really need a warmer environment. If you use lights, and the fan idea- and are very careful about hardening off, you should do fine. I also strongly recommend any kind of cold frame set-up. They are great for hardening off, if nothing else. Good luck and Happy Gardening!
I am not going to start anything that can be direct seeded. I am going to start my tomatoes and peppers. I have some herbs that I am going to start inside too and that is it. I have never started my cabbage or broccoli outside from seed. Are they easy to start in the garden? I gathered my supplies this past weekend. I have a large wire rack with three shelves, 5- 4' lights and my MIL saved scoops for years, I am going to use them to start me seeds in. They are small, the size of coffee scoops and there are a lot of them.
I will be making holes in the bottom of them tonight for bottom watering. I will order my heat mats on Friday (pay day) and hang my lights on my racks on Saturday. MY fingers are crossed that this works. :fl

I have two cement brick raised beds I could make cold frames out of. Do you think they are sufficient? I think I have a photo somewhere that I can post. Going to go look.....

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Good points... you can't let someone else's experience scare you! I've lost some starts while hardening off and sometimes after I got them to the garden. I always plant my seeds with more then I need because I expect some to not germinate, and some to not make it to the garden. I hate planning like that, but its better then not having enough.

And honestly, it takes practice... you can't always get everything right the first time, but it can be done! SO.... no fear! ;)

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Have confidence in yourself! It may take some practice, but you can do it!!! Besides, playing with seeds is fun! :watering

David Harritz

Leafing Out
Reaction score
It depends upon the conditions weather the condition out side is suitable for the plant or not and what was the previous condition. So many factors like the atmosphereic change and the care you have taken also matters here for the survival of your plant.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
So how did your seedlings urn out?
r4eboxer said:
I am going to start some of my seeds indoors for the first time this year. I was at bee keeping class last night and was talking to a couple of guys about starting seeds.

J said that he had good luck getting his seeds to start but once he put them in the garden they never survived. He said he hardened them off too.

So now I am worried that even if I get my seeds started inside, harden them off, and plant them outside they are going to die.

Anyone have any really good advice for me? I do plan to harden them off, I also plan to put a small fan on them once they start inside to strenghthen the stems.