Sweat potato question

StonyGarden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
When to harvest? I planted them in May. It doesn't look like the vine is growing too much but I'm assuming the plant is growing underneath since it is a root crop. This is my first year growing them and I am completely clueless.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You dont want a frost to hit them. The tops are very susceptible to frost. When they get hit by frost, the vines die and the rot quickly spreads down to the tubers down below. If it frosts, cut the vines off that morning and dig the potatoes really soon. Thats the big warning about them. Get them before a frost.

Some varieties of sweet potatoes are advertised to require 90 grow days, some varieties need 110, so that varies. But dont go by that. Those numbers are just to compare varieties. How long they actually take depends on your climate. But if you planted them in May, they are not yet ready. Give them at least another month before you start checking on them, and be prepared to wait even longer.

They start setting tubers when they flower. The flowers look a lot like white/purplish morning glory flowers. Thats just when they start setting the tubers. They still need time to grow and mature.

I can never remember where different people are. It would help some if youd modify your profile to include growing zone or general location. Just a general region would help. But sometime after at least three months, you can carefully dig under a plant with your hands and try to find a tuber. If they are big enough for you, you can eat them then, but I think they taste better and keep longer if you let them mature more.

Some people say they wait until the vines start turning yellow. That doesnt work for me, Ill get hit with a frost if I try to wait that long. I also plant them in May and usually harvest very late September to early October. My average first frost date is mid-October.

Another warning. After they mature, if the weather sets in really wet for a while, Ive had them rot in the ground. Thats a really disappointing stinky mess. So kind of watch the weather too.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would dig one and see where they are. I personally cannot keep them for very long despite good advice from other forum members. I dig them in the fall as I eat them. I do not dig the rest until we are going to have a hard frost. I have grown them too long and they crack but are still edible.

I also have a question. Last year my sweet potatoes had little round bite marks on them when dug. I do not remember seeing that before. It looked like insect bite marks. Anyone know about this?

Do a search in the forum. There was a great thread last year.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know of any insects that do that. Voles sometimes chew on mine. Last year they did quite a bit of damage. I dropped some moth balls in their tunnels. I think that helped some.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The holes were so small I can't imagine that they were from a mammal. The size of an eraser on a pencil. Wouldn't they take big bites out of them? Last year was the first time it happened.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, sometimes half the sweet potato would be gone, just gnawed away, about like you'd expect with a rat or mammal.

You might want to read this. From what I gathered, grubs or wireworms can nibble on them when they are small and the injury gets bigger as they grow, making you think its something bigger doing it. I was actually thinking of wireworms but didnt think the injury would grow as the potato grows.

http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publications/PDF/FSA-7056.pdf

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks! That might be it. Mine did not look so gross. I just cut off the skin and cooked them so the damage was minor. It did contribute to their spoiling, however. I will not broadcast insecticide, unless I find something organic.

Latest posts