Sweet Corn question

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Need recomendations for yellow sweet corn that I can save seed from year after year.
Thanks
Nancy

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew up eating Golden Bantam sweet corn, Nancy.

Nothing at all wrong with it :). I'm sure glad they had a short-season variety and I imagine that was true for a lot of people. Mom used to talk about Country Gentleman but it probably wouldn't ripen in this climate.

Golden Bantam only has 8 rows of kernels. The newer types have more rows and the kernels are smaller - which means a little more tender. I imagine that there are lots of variables, however.

Heck, modern sweet corn hybrids do everything except come in your kitchen and boil the water! There's so much going on with them genetically :/, it's almost scary!

Golden Bantam is my recommendation!

Steve

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You'd have to go to Seed Savers or somewhere to find any OP sweet corn *except* golden bantam or shoepeg (country gentleman). So, one of those, choice depending on your growing season, would be the easiest option :p

Neither are as sweet IME as modern hybrid sweet corn --and actually by "modern" I mean the first generation ones of like forty, fifty years ago, let alone those nasty sugar-sweet flavorless things they tout today -- but they are still tasty.

Pat

Latest posts