Sweet Myoga pickles

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yesterday, I noticed that the Myoga ginger was flowering again. I'm supposed to be harvesting these just before they flower, but its the flowers that remind me that its time.

This year I used a slightly different recipe from the same book, 'Japanese pickled vegetables', by Machiko Tateno.
Last year, the recipe called for soy sauce and bonito flakes,(which I didnt have and so, omitted). This year, from the same page I chose the one that just called for Myoga ginger buds, rice wine vinegar, water, sugar and a little salt.

This lot has been in the fridge now for over the 12 hours stated so I tried a piece and compared it to one from last years lot.
This years one is more crunchy. I might not have blanched them for long enough, but the flavor was very gingery.

The recipes do say that they will keep for a certain amount of time.....last years lot are well over that and still delicious. Milder and softer with that lovely Soy flavor. Not many of them left cos I didnt share and I'm not too sure that I will be sharing this years lot either....unless I make some more specifically for others.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if this might be a sensible way for me to use the greenhouse through the summer, Trish.

We use ginger in stir-fries and tea. First, a root from the store was just potted and left outdoors. It produced a small root. The next year, and since, we have had several large pots of ginger on the floor of the greenhouse.

Completely open through the day, it is very hot in there at times. I had a row of peppers along the south wall one summer. Both the ginger and the peppers like it in there!

We cannot use a great deal of fresh ginger at a time so have to move on from the homegrown to store-bought each winter. Pickling could be the answer.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We cannot use a great deal of fresh ginger at a time so have to move on from the homegrown to store-bought each winter. Pickling could be the answer.

i've always liked pickled or crystalised ginger. :) never grown it here, we just don't keep this place warm enough in the winter and there's not enough light.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, I noticed that the Myoga ginger was flowering again. I'm supposed to be harvesting these just before they flower, but its the flowers that remind me that its time.

This year I used a slightly different recipe from the same book, 'Japanese pickled vegetables', by Machiko Tateno.
Last year, the recipe called for soy sauce and bonito flakes,(which I didnt have and so, omitted). This year, from the same page I chose the one that just called for Myoga ginger buds, rice wine vinegar, water, sugar and a little salt.

yum! :)

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i've always liked pickled or crystalised ginger. :) never grown it here, we just don't keep this place warm enough in the winter and there's not enough light.
I keep my root ginger in the freezer. (from the supermarket)
I do have a root ginger plant but our climate doesnt seem to be right for it to get that nice spicey flavor. so that particular plant has been left to its own devices til I get around to sorting out how to help it do better. One day soon......

Latest posts