Sweet Pickle Relish Recipes?

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There are plenty of recipes out there when I do a Google search, but they all seem to call for onion. Since it has been a couple of years since I have made any, I can't find the recipe I have used in the past. I might be wrong but I just don't remember any onion in it.

So does anyone have a tried and true sweet pickle relish recipe (with or without onion, I like onions) to use in potato salad, chicken salad, tuna salad...etc? :)

ETA: Now that I think about it, I may have just eliminated the onions in favor of more cukes. This is starting to drive a little bit crazy now.

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I made this one last year and it tastes like the green relish you buy. I did not use a red pepper nor add green food colouring.

GREEN SWEET RELISH
Printed from COOKS.COM

6 c. ground unpeeled med.-lg. cucumbers
3 c. ground onions (2 lg.)
2 c. chopped celery (1 stalk)
2 chopped green peppers
1 chopped sweet red pepper
1/4 c. salt
1 qt. cold water
1 qt. white vinegar
3 c. sugar
2 tsp. celery seed
2 tsp. mustard seed
Green food coloring
Prepare vegetables (grind all with coarse food chopper blade) and combine in a large enamel pan. Add salt and water; let stand overnight. Drain well. Add remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling. Simmer 10 minutes. Seal in hot sterilized jars. Makes 12 pints. Good on hamburgers or in potato and macaroni salad.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am actually waiting for the vinegar to boil (any minute now) as *I* am making a sweet pickle relish :p -- I made several different versions last year (the first year it occurred to me to MAKE it instead of buying it, as I never had any need for it til I got married to someone who won't eat burgers without it, and spawned two sons following in his footsteps) and am coming to the conclusion that it really does not matter a whole great big lot what you put in it, as long as you like the *seasonings* of the recipe.

So I would suggest using a recipe that is spiced the way you like, and then if you don't want onion, don't use it (substitute an equal amount of cukes or whatever else).

FWIW, what's going on in my kitchen right now is something on the order of

6-8 c finely chopped cucumbers
1-2 c finely chopped onions (sorry, I don't measure real carefully for this)
1 large green pepper, finely chopped (you could use more)

mix in 1/4 c pickling salt, let sit 4-6 hrs, then put n fine colander, press out liquid, rinse *well*, and press liquid out again.

boil 1.5 c white vinegar plus 1 c sugar and spices of choice (I use mustard and black pepper), add the drained chopped veggies and boil 5 minutes, then put in jars and process 15 min for pints. Makes about 3 pints.

Comes out fairly close to Bicks brand, only less bright-green. My husband won't eat most homemade condiments but he WILL eat this :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat, off to check the vinegar!

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks jojo! I was looking at that recipe this morning after giving up the hunt for my old, written down recipe. I have looked at so many recipes online today my head is spinning.

So I would suggest using a recipe that is spiced the way you like, and then if you don't want onion, don't use it (substitute an equal amount of cukes or whatever else).
Thank you pat. Good advice! I'm not a big "right to the letter" recipe follower anyway. ;) Sooo, I will concoct something tommorrow. I need to put some tomatos up anyway so may as well heat the kitchen up only once to go along with the boiling vinegar treatment.

Keep those recipes coming folks! I need inspiration! Besides, the dog and the chickens usually get any kitchen failures and I am not sure how they would like nasty tasting relish. :lol:

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sweet Pickle Relish

6 cucumbers, peeled and chopped
2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup salt
3 cups sugar
2 cups cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. celery seed
1 Tbsp. mustard seed

I put the cucumbers, onions and peppers in chunks into my food processor and whirred them around until they were in small pieces, but you can also hand chop your vegetables.

Place vegetables in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and mix around. Cover with cold water and let stand 2 hours, or overnight.

Drain and press out excess liquid in a colander.

Combine sugar, vinegar, celery seed and mustard seed in a non-reactive large pot. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.

Add drained vegetables and bring to boil again. Lower heat and simmer 10 minutes.

Pack into hot sterilized pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Place caps on and tighten. Place in hot water bath and process for 10 minutes.

Makes 4 pint jars.

Chris