Sweet potato question

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have my best crop of sweet potatoes ever. I have only gotten to dig up about half and they are early, huge and prolific. I used a black cloth weed barrier for the first time. Weeding sweets is hard so it was great in that regard. I think also it added heat and the potatoes loved that..

One problem. Quite a few potatoes were imperfect. They may have been nibbled on, or they may have grown too close too the top of the soil and rotted from the heat. They are so big I tried cutting off the bad end and drying-hoping they would scab over and keep. It does not seem as if that's going to work. I have so many I will eat the best first and in no way are those going to last. So I have been thinking of peeling cooking and freezing. Has anyone ever tried this? What did you do and how were they after freezing?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never tried freezing them so not sure how that would work. If I were going to freeze them I'd probably cook them first and mash them instead of trying to leave them in slices. I haven't done any research on that but it just feels right to me to cook them first. You don't need to blanch them, they don't take up as much room, and all you have to do is thaw and heat them for them to be ready.

I often have some chewed on, I think voles or mice. Under that plastic I'd suspect mice. And I sometimes cut some when I dig them. I cure them in a well-ventilated place but out of the sunlight so they don't turn green. Occasionally one will rot but usually they scab over. I built this drying rack and use it for potatoes, onions, garlic, such as that that need good ventilation. This photo is from 2014 but maybe you can see some of the damage that scabbed over.

Sweet 1.JPG

I haven't dug mine yet this year, usually that's in October. Mine will keep in a bin in the attached but unheated garage well into the summer so I don't worry about freezing them or canning them.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never tried freezing them so not sure how that would work. If I were going to freeze them I'd probably cook them first and mash them instead of trying to leave them in slices. I haven't done any research on that but it just feels right to me to cook them first. You don't need to blanch them, they don't take up as much room, and all you have to do is thaw and heat them for them to be ready.

I often have some chewed on, I think voles or mice. Under that plastic I'd suspect mice. And I sometimes cut some when I dig them. I cure them in a well-ventilated place but out of the sunlight so they don't turn green. Occasionally one will rot but usually they scab over. I built this drying rack and use it for potatoes, onions, garlic, such as that that need good ventilation. This photo is from 2014 but maybe you can see some of the damage that scabbed over.

View attachment 22031

I haven't dug mine yet this year, usually that's in October. Mine will keep in a bin in the attached but unheated garage well into the summer so I don't worry about freezing them or canning them.
A restaurant nearby whipped their sweet potatoes into a smooth creamy and adds A BIT OF SPICEY HEAT. SOUNDS TERRIBLE BUT IT IS SO GOOD. I WAS THINKING OF COOKING AND WHIPPING AND THEN FREEZING IN PORTIONS. I was not yelling-just too lazy to retype.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I shred them to freeze and make hash browned or sweet potato tots or latkes later. I've also cut them into sticks for fries. I toss them (dry) with a little flour and freeze them laid out on a cookie sheet, then bag. They freeze just as well as regular potatoes. I didn't blanch mine either. Cook from frozen.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, I have cooked my sweet potatoes, (peeled and chunked) then frozen and they come out great. Ready to mash for a pie or casserole, or bake in the chunk state in a covered dish until hot.

Latest posts