"TASTY TOMATO" recipes

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi there! :frow

As this year I am growing over 50 tomato plants I am already collecting ideas for using them. I adore cooked tomatoes so I was more than happy to hear the news that cooked they were even better for us than uncooked!

When I worked in Italy I loved going to a restaurant at lunchtime & trying all their wonderful simple vegetable dishes that were laid out before you on a huge table. The Italians often serve them somewhere between warm & hot so that you can really taste the flavour. They also serve a lot of vegetable dishes that we would eat hot as cold dishes -- personally I have often preferred the cold "left-overs", the next day, to the hot meal I have cooked for friends the evening before.... :drool

Here is one of the recipes I am definitely going to make -- especially as you don't have to cook the rice first & it uses the pulp inside the tomatoes!! The Italians don't waste ANYTHING...! :bow

http://divinacucina.blogspot.com/2005/07/pomodori-ripieni.html

No doubt I shall find lots more tasty tomato dishes for you to try! :celebrate Do you have any to share with us? You must have as you all grow SO MANY TOMATOES.......!!

HAPPY GARDENING & COOKING! :happy_flower

[ Edited to add a bonus article by the above blogger about Italian tomatoes -- at the end of this is another great tomato dish with linguini]

:rose Hattie :rose

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Hattie, :frow

Thanks for posting this. This weekend I made cherry tomatoes stuffed with full fat feta cheese, diced shallots, ex. virgin olive oil, and fresh oragano from the garden. I just scooped out the pulp of the tomato, mixed the rest of the ingrediants together and stuffed the little buggers. I salted them when I got to the party. BIG HIT, they were gone in 20 minutes!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
YUMMMM BBH!!!!! Full fat feta is of God!!!!

Roasted tomato sauce

fill a roasting pain with nice ripe romas
add some whole peeled garlic cloves
a spring of rosemary
oregano
basil
bit of thyme
pour a lot of really good Extra Virgin olive oil on top

roast in a 450 oven until ..well roasted :)

you can pull the rosemary out and put into a blender ..or even better i like to run it through a sieve so you have a very light but extremely flavorful smooth sauce (I dont like the blender method I like the seeds and skin out it is more refined I think)

salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste and serve over some very thin spaghetti with fresh grated parm reggiano and a handful of fresh chopped Italian parsley

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi b b horse & HiDelight, :frow

Both sound delicious -- I can't wait for my toms to get ripe. I have two giant rosemary bushes & pots full of basil already & waiting. Nearly all the tomato plants have masses of flowers & half of those have already set fruit --- whohooooooooo!! :ya :ya :ya I had better order lots more olive oil....!! :throw :lol:

:rose Hattie :rose

hikerchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
YUMMMM BBH!!!!! Full fat feta is of God!!!!

Roasted tomato sauce

fill a roasting pain with nice ripe romas
add some whole peeled garlic cloves
a spring of rosemary
oregano
basil
bit of thyme
pour a lot of really good Extra Virgin olive oil on top

roast in a 450 oven until ..well roasted :)

you can pull the rosemary out and put into a blender ..or even better i like to run it through a sieve so you have a very light but extremely flavorful smooth sauce (I dont like the blender method I like the seeds and skin out it is more refined I think)

salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste and serve over some very thin spaghetti with fresh grated parm reggiano and a handful of fresh chopped Italian parsley
Oh my oh my. I can't wait for my Romas!

hikerchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi Delight, I hope you don't mind that I saved your recipe as Word document. I don't want to risk losing it.

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I make a salad with all kinds of cherry tomatoes, the more different kinds mixed together the better. I like it with yellow ones and orange ones and purple ones and red ones and the little bitty tiny ones. Anyway,

Slice 1 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes in half
Add one sweet onion chopped
A handful of fresh basil torn in pieces
Pour about 1T of good olive oil and 1 T of good white wine vinegar over them and add some salt and pepper. Toss and serve. Makes enough for two people. You can also add the little balls of fresh mozzarella cut in half to make it a meal.

It is so easy and so good.

Latest posts