Temporary Pet Tender Job

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My son and his family are off for a long weekend, and at the last minute they asked me to go over twice a day and give the insulin shot and to feed their elderly cat. OK, I've done that before. Then, even later last minute, they said the dog sitter couldn't make it, so could I please feed and water (and play with) the younger cat and the 6 month old monster dog they have, since I'm going to be there anyway.
This dog has no training at all, and jumps up on humans constantly. He is so tall, he hits me in upper shoulder area when I turn my back. I am trying to use my gruff voice and yell OFF and knee him away when he jumps, but it's not making much of an impression.
He's not mean, thank goodness, just totally untamed. He is smart, though. He's house trained, so at least I'm not cleaning up messes.
I have mentioned several times that they need to take him to puppy school, but no action yet. May be a $$ issue. The dog belongs to the 18 year old girl, and she doesn't have much free money.
I guess it could be worse. They could have a back yard full of alligators. :\

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will not board a diabetic animal, I tell clients vet needs to over see. Animal doesnt eat or injection slightly off coma or death. lucky if that puppy is that big at 6 months he is going to be a giant size dog. Nothing is more important then training a dog that size not to jump. He can very easy knock someone over that way. If small child or senior a fall could mean hospital trip. The large chain pet store have training class very reasonable priced. Maybe gift card for Christmas if they would go. Good Luck

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My son and his family are off for a long weekend, and at the last minute they asked me to go over twice a day and give the insulin shot and to feed their elderly cat. OK, I've done that before. Then, even later last minute, they said the dog sitter couldn't make it, so could I please feed and water (and play with) the younger cat and the 6 month old monster dog they have, since I'm going to be there anyway.
This dog has no training at all, and jumps up on humans constantly. He is so tall, he hits me in upper shoulder area when I turn my back. I am trying to use my gruff voice and yell OFF and knee him away when he jumps, but it's not making much of an impression.
He's not mean, thank goodness, just totally untamed. He is smart, though. He's house trained, so at least I'm not cleaning up messes.
I have mentioned several times that they need to take him to puppy school, but no action yet. May be a $$ issue. The dog belongs to the 18 year old girl, and she doesn't have much free money.
I guess it could be worse. They could have a back yard full of alligators. :\
Don't watch the dog again and state the reasons why-emergency or not.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have big dogs. Parker weighed in at 105 pounds and was excitable. My Mom came to live with us after her stroke and Parker rushed the door to go in or out. If he so much as brushed up against Mom, at 88 pounds and frail, he would have sent her splattering on the floor. He already had pretty good manners, but having Mom there demanded stepping it up, so I taught him WAIT and EASY. Wait until Mom got through the door, then Easy for a slow walk instead a rushed blasting through the door. I miss them both.

The 2 Great Pyrenees we have weigh 102 and 68 pounds. They may be outside livestock guard dogs, but they have been taught manners too. They may be big, but I am the alpha dog and they WILL mind me.

There is no excuse for letting a dog that big run wild. They might think he is fun and cute, but he will hurt someone. Just make sure that it isn't you. Know anybody with a taser? Zap him and he won't mess with you again!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
That dog just needs some proper leash walking and exercise to burn off energy. I'd LOVE to get my hands on such a dog, and turn him around to my and Bay's way of thinking while babysitting him. They'd come home to a different animal.
I agree but he would revert back as he is alpha in that House-& he knows that. I trained my uncles dog to heal, stay and come. Just the 2 of us, perfect. Soon as he saw my uncle, back to old ways.

Latest posts