Texas Members Might Like This

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Taking a brief look, it looks like just in Austin. I think it is a great idea. Austin also encourages chickens in the city limits and even has a Coop Crawl every year, where people submit their coop to be on the self guided tour of chicken coops.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bay, Does Tyler have a landfill that offers compost or chips? Longview does. You can get so much compost a week and all the chips you want. The only catch is that you have to live in Longview. :( I am 20 miles from there and could sure use some of it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, Does Tyler have a landfill that offers compost or chips? Longview does. You can get so much compost a week and all the chips you want. The only catch is that you have to live in Longview. :( I am 20 miles from there and could sure use some of it.
I don't know, I probably wouldn't qualify, we live outside of Lindale. We called the electric company and the contractors that clean the power line right of way brought us a load. My husband tipped them each $10 and I gave them bottles of cold water. The same 2 guys have brought us 2 more loads. What electric company do you have? You might want to call them and ask for wood chips. Our electric company put us on a list, now, when ever those guys are in our area, they bring us the chips!

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't know, I probably wouldn't qualify, we live outside of Lindale. We called the electric company and the contractors that clean the power line right of way brought us a load. My husband tipped them each $10 and I gave them bottles of cold water. The same 2 guys have brought us 2 more loads. What electric company do you have? You might want to call them and ask for wood chips. Our electric company put us on a list, now, when ever those guys are in our area, they bring us the chips!

That is what I did. We have Rusk Co Electric. I called and they put us on their list. They contract out to 3 different contractors. So far we've gotten 2 loads. I'm hoping we'll eventually get more. I do like the chips.

I would also call local tree company. One guy was looking for place to dump chips, but was to far from me.

I've seen several trucks with chips, but sadly none were in my area. I drive 30 miles to work and most of the chip trucks I see are closer to work than home.

In the meantime, I'm just going to keep using my leaves & pine straw.