1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. What am I? - The Traveling Desk Plant Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Thanksgiving Battle

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Nyboy, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Nov 20, 2017
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

My sister and her husband just built a new house, moved in last week. She is hosting Thanksgiving, my job is to pick up and drive home my dad. BIG fight going on my sister does not want any animals in their new house, my dad will not come unless he can bring his dog. So far they have hung up once on each other. Glad I get to sit this one out.

2. Nov 20, 2017
    canesisters

canesisters Garden Master

Is it an all day thing or just a couple hours??? Could his dog wait in the car??? Maybe get out for some playtime in the yard at some point???

ducks4you and Nyboy like this.
  3. Nov 20, 2017
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

Your sister should just get over herself :rolleyes:. It's her dad. And it's THANKS giving. You know like being thankful that you have a family that you can invite to enjoy your brand new house.

I seriously doubt if his dog is going to run through the house ravaging furniture and peeing on all the rugs.

4. Nov 20, 2017
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

She has a mental illness, her house has to be spotless. Her old house had 3 dish washers so even with a party no dirty glasses in sink. I have a very clean house ( cleaning lady comes 3x a week) She thinks my house is dirty.

Carol Dee likes this.
  5. Nov 20, 2017
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

Well this is sad when not having a dog in your house is more important that having your dad. She won't always have her dad. How ungrateful.

Mary

6. Nov 20, 2017
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

I am sure after days of fighting my dad would win out. I do have to say my sister does a lot for my dad. She handles all money, bills repairs and deals with his 2 tenants, he is not easy to deal with.

Carol Dee, Beekissed and baymule like this.
  7. Nov 20, 2017
    dickiebird

dickiebird Garden Addicted

I look at this another way, why can't the dog be left at home this one day?
    I agree with your sister!!!

THANX RICH

ducks4you, Beekissed and Nyboy like this.
  8. Nov 20, 2017
    seedcorn

seedcorn Garden Master

If your dad was 60-70, I’d side with your sister. He isn’t. I’d want to get along as his days are numbered.

But again, your Dad raised her and helped reinforce her paranoia. My wife is a little that way-with me, not the dog. She’ll start cleaning while I’m cooking. I tell her to go AWAY!

ducks4you, baymule and Nyboy like this.
  9. Nov 21, 2017
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

I can't have Thanksgiving with my dad anymore, but if I could spend just one more hour with him he could bring anything that was important to him into my house, even if it was his herd of wild swine.
    (Which obviously he didn't have, but you get my intent) I never appreciated my parents and the time I had with them as much as I do now in retrospect.

I'm not judging your sister Alex, and I'm sorry that this problem she has has made such a difficulty for a family gathering. I'm just feeling a little blue about knowing that I won't ever get to have another Thanksgiving with my folks on this earth.

10. Nov 21, 2017
    journey11

journey11 Garden Master

@thistlebloom :hugs Yeah, it does give you a whole new perspective on what really matters.

While I do hope your sister will relent, Alex, I can also understand where she's coming from. Maybe they could find a compromise, like keeping the dog in a crate? I take my dog as many places with me as I can, as long as she is welcome. My grandparents were always disappointed if I didn't bring her, but by BIL worries she'll wear out his senior dog. I get that and comply. I know that's probably harder for your dad at his age. Maybe he worries he'll not get home in time to let her outside. Is there a friend or relative he would trust to doggie-sit for him?

My brother and I haven't spoken since shortly after my dad passed. He has estranged himself from nearly all of the family, other than dropping in on my mom with his drama upon occasion. He hadn't spoken with my dad for 6 months before he died or my grandpa for over 5 years before he died. He is always invited to all of the family gatherings, but never shows up. He has been invited this time too. Who knows. Although I dread having to deal with him, it is an odd heaviness that hangs like a black cloud. I wish things could be resolved, but I don't know how. He stole my dad's car 2 days before he died. Out of anger and stress, I called him a druggie and a thief over the phone and called the cops when he would not return it. This time of year is hard when you have family drama. I hope your dad and sister won't let such a little thing get out of hand. Tomorrow is not promised.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Carol Dee, baymule, so lucky and 2 others like this.