Thanksgiving Battle

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sister and her husband just built a new house, moved in last week. She is hosting Thanksgiving, my job is to pick up and drive home my dad. BIG fight going on my sister does not want any animals in their new house, my dad will not come unless he can bring his dog. So far they have hung up once on each other. Glad I get to sit this one out.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your sister should just get over herself :rolleyes:. It's her dad. And it's THANKS giving. You know like being thankful that you have a family that you can invite to enjoy your brand new house.

I seriously doubt if his dog is going to run through the house ravaging furniture and peeing on all the rugs.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
She has a mental illness, her house has to be spotless. Her old house had 3 dish washers so even with a party no dirty glasses in sink. I have a very clean house ( cleaning lady comes 3x a week) She thinks my house is dirty.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If your dad was 60-70, I’d side with your sister. He isn’t. I’d want to get along as his days are numbered.

But again, your Dad raised her and helped reinforce her paranoia. My wife is a little that way-with me, not the dog. She’ll start cleaning while I’m cooking. I tell her to go AWAY!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't have Thanksgiving with my dad anymore, but if I could spend just one more hour with him he could bring anything that was important to him into my house, even if it was his herd of wild swine.
(Which obviously he didn't have, but you get my intent) I never appreciated my parents and the time I had with them as much as I do now in retrospect.

I'm not judging your sister Alex, and I'm sorry that this problem she has has made such a difficulty for a family gathering. I'm just feeling a little blue about knowing that I won't ever get to have another Thanksgiving with my folks on this earth.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom :hugs Yeah, it does give you a whole new perspective on what really matters.

While I do hope your sister will relent, Alex, I can also understand where she's coming from. Maybe they could find a compromise, like keeping the dog in a crate? I take my dog as many places with me as I can, as long as she is welcome. My grandparents were always disappointed if I didn't bring her, but by BIL worries she'll wear out his senior dog. I get that and comply. I know that's probably harder for your dad at his age. Maybe he worries he'll not get home in time to let her outside. Is there a friend or relative he would trust to doggie-sit for him?

My brother and I haven't spoken since shortly after my dad passed. He has estranged himself from nearly all of the family, other than dropping in on my mom with his drama upon occasion. He hadn't spoken with my dad for 6 months before he died or my grandpa for over 5 years before he died. He is always invited to all of the family gatherings, but never shows up. He has been invited this time too. Who knows. Although I dread having to deal with him, it is an odd heaviness that hangs like a black cloud. I wish things could be resolved, but I don't know how. He stole my dad's car 2 days before he died. Out of anger and stress, I called him a druggie and a thief over the phone and called the cops when he would not return it. This time of year is hard when you have family drama. I hope your dad and sister won't let such a little thing get out of hand. Tomorrow is not promised.

Last edited:

Latest posts