The beautiful artichoke

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
A June artichoke is unheard of in Massachusetts yet here it is. The best artichoke starts I've ever had. Isn't she lovely?
artichoke.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is beautiful Cat.
So you start them every year and they give you 'chokes? That's amazing. My neighbors in San Diego had them and they were long lived perennials.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you tell us a little more about how you did it? Started from seed? When? That is really cool. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I must admit to thinking that you were looking at your artichoke through rose-tinted glasses, Cat'.

But, that is a good picture of a fine example of the more important part of the plant. Having them in your location sounds challenging!

Fields of artichokes in California, however, have to be some of the strangest scenery I've ever come across.

Steve
Mom probably thought i was a beautiful child, too ;)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I must admit to thinking that you were looking at your artichoke through rose-tinted glasses, Cat'.

But, that is a good picture of a fine example of the more important part of the plant. Having them in your location sounds challenging!

Fields of artichokes in California, however, have to be some of the strangest scenery I've ever come across.

Steve
Mom probably thought i was a beautiful child, too ;)
I would love to see those fields.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is beautiful Cat.
So you start them every year and they give you 'chokes? That's amazing. My neighbors in San Diego had them and they were long lived perennials.
Yes I have to start them every year. I have tried overwintering them. Even with protection I have no luck. The seed is rated for zone 6 which should be fine but it does not work. The seed can be tricky to start. I soak them a few days plant in a peat pot or a 4x4 inch pot. They seem susceptible to fungus gnats or some other malady where they develop beautifully and then wither and die. I have had a few good years these last few, but this year they are outstanding looking in the garden. I have been using seed starting formula and then covering lightly with coir in Jan. or Feb. They need 200 days of cool temperature to trick them into fruiting. I put then in a large tunnel greenhouse open on 2 ends in early april which gave them a long cool time with out getting frosted. I think they would withstand a light frost but why chance it? There is no better tasting artichoke then fresh picked.

Latest posts