The Belle of Georgia

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
This recount is posted here by request for the story, following the mention in thread of: The Belle of Georgia.

In 1941 we, the folks, bought a ranch in Garden, California, there was a great two story barn, corrals, wonderful out buildings, a water well, powered by a Studebaker 6 cylinder engine, that would fill the ditches for watering both plants and animals and of course swimming. I haven't scanned a picture of the house but instead took a photo of a drawing done by my sister. please forgive that it isn't easy to see.
The farm by the by cost a grand total of $8,000.

We, our folks, bought the farm or ranch from a man named Ericson, The Lady for whom the house and all that was built was known and spoken of as The Belle of Georgia, not a belle of Georgia but The Belle of Georgia.

Before war was over, you remember the war, Two Ladies, older, yet Beautiful Ladies, came to see the great house, for one of these Ladies this house was built..

The front room and entrance hall as well as the dining room were open to each other by great arches not doors.
The piano, her piano still in the front room to the right of the fireplace.
She said she had wanted to come see her house for a very long time and talked about loving it. She had been sitting on the piano bench, while talking, after a time, she turned to the piano and began to play.

I was just, well very small boy and remember only that she was beautiful. As she played the music filled the house, filled the rooms and up the winding staircase, the house opened up for her and gathered round her, I could see this as young as I was. She may have been crying as she left, well not crying, but there were tears.

I never asked her name from anyone until a couple years ago I asked Viola, my sister. Of course she had no idea. It was a great shame, in a way. I think now I may be the only one knows and thinks of her, and her house, the house I grew up in.

Attachments

• The big house.JPG
    The big house.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 182

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a lovely story. Your home was loved by her. do you know why it was sold to your folks? Some nest history you place has, you could go look it up in the county records, might find out something.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
We bought the ranch from old man Ericson, why she sold her home or had to sell it, I've no idea. She must have been 70 in the 1940ies. I have looked up, on the net, to see what I could find~I think I found a town called Belle of Georgia and a Peach Tree, but no other word.

Latest posts