The best 25 cents I've ever spent

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just wanted to tell you all about my new fave book that I got at a garage sale for 25 cents. It was published in 1964 by the food editors of Farm Journal. It has 352 pages. It is the Freezing & Canning Cookbook and is a gold mine. It even has lots of recipes for make ahead meals to keep in the freezer and info on how to freeze and can just about everything and anything. I love this book.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sounds like a great 25c gain to me. Also sounds like we have a another new go to for recipes and canning!! :lol:

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I know what you mean. Somewhere I aquired an old Better Homes and Gardens one from the seventies. It has recipes and then whole day menus laid out. So you can utilize your canned goods for entire meals all day long.

You have to watch out for outdated info though.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My husband got me a pressure canner at an auction last week & it had a cookbook from the 1950s! Amazing how much stuff we've forgotten how to do!

Pakalana

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I found a cookbook years ago, paid the same and it's been used the most of all my cookbooks. It's their revised edition, so to make apple butter the directions no longer state to fire up the kettle in the backyard. ;) I just bought a reprint of Betty Crockers book from the 50's also.

I tripped across an old Home Ec book a few years back from the 50's. I love these books because they go into a little bit more detail about what you're making, what a good end result is and how to troubleshoot.

Whenever I go anywhere I keep an eye out for these, over the years I've built up quite a few. My mom has a complete housekeeping "Cookbook" from 1889 that I'm currently trying to take off her hands. It has everything from setting up a 10 course meal (complete with silverware layout to recipes) to how to set up a sick room and cures. There's not much that isn't covered in that book.

Congrats! I'd love to find something like that.

Latest posts