Garden Master
Reaction score
SIMPLE WHOLE WHEAT BREAD

This recipe is from allrecipes.com, and is rated 5 stars

prep time 20 min. cook time 30 min. ready in 3 hours makes 3 loaves

Ingredients:

3 cups warm water (110 degrees) 1/3 cup honey
2 (.25oz) pks dry yeast 1 tablespoon salt
1/3 cup honey Approx. 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I use sprouted WW flour)
5 cups bread flour 2 tablespoons butter, melted, for brushing tops
3 Tablespoons butter, melted

Directions:

1) In large bowl, mix warm water, yeast, and 1/3 cup honey. Add 5 cups white bread flour, and stir to combine. Let set for 30 minutes, or till big and bubbly.
2) Mix in 3 tablespoons butter, 1/3 cup of honey, and salt. Stir in 2 cups of the whole wheat flour. Flour a flat surface and knead with whole wheat flour until not real sticky--just pulling away from the counter, but still sticky to touch. This may take an additional 2 to 4 cups of WW flour. You will only be kneading a very few minutes, just to get the flour mixed in. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat the surface of the dough. Cover with a clean dishtowel and let rise in a warm place till doubled. (I place it in the oven with the oven light on)
3) Punch down, and divide into thirds. (At this point, I usually knead each piece about 10 seconds, just while shaping it into a loaf shape.) Place in 3 greased 9 x 5 loaf pans, and allow to rise till dough has topped the pans by 1 inch. (I stick mine back into the oven, covered with a dishtowel)
4) Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes; do not overbake. (I have experimented with leaving the risen loaves in the oven, and just turning it on when they are ready. Doesn't seem to hurt anything if your oven is not preheated; you may have to increase bake time by a couple minutes or so.) Lightly brush tops of loaves with butter when done to prevent crust from getting hard. Remove from pans while still warm, but allow to cool before cutting, if you can. :p
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have experimented with this, using a larger ratio of sprouted flour. No problems, just don't substitute all the white for WW. But get comfortable following the recipe as written first.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ty so lucky... I will be sure to either write it down or look it up.... we use all recipes all the time for ice cream, bread what ever. :D

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds yummy. I bought a Family Grain mill and wheat. Milling the wheat, then making bread, that is so fresh! I will have to try this recipe.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
So Lucky, why don't you change the name of this thread to The Bread Thread, and then we can all post our favorite bread recipes on it.

Dinner Rolls
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teasp salt
1 cup milk

Combine above ingredients and scald the milk. Don't boil, just get it hot. Set aside and let it cool

1 pkg yeast in 1/2 cup warm water, dissolved.

When milk mixture has cooled to warm to the touch, beat in
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 egg
Beat until smooth, add yeast mixture. Beat well.
Add 2 cups all purpose flour, one cup at a time. Beat until dough follows the spoon. Turn out on floured surface and knead until smooth. If dough is still sticky, add more flour.

This is the basic roll recipe. You can let rise until double (I never do) then roll out the dough (I pat it out with my hands) and cut into desired shape, let rise again and bake at 400* for 15-20 minutes.

Or..... roll it out, cut out rolls, place in greased pan, cover with plastic wrap and keep in refrigerator a few hours until you get the rest of your meal ready.

What I do is to triple the recipe, cut out all the rolls (I use an upside down drinking glass) put them on a greased cookie sheet, cover with cup towel and put in the freezer. The next day, I bag them up in zip lock bags. When I start supper, I take out the rolls I want, put them in a greased pan, cover and put in a warm spot. Right before supper is done, I pop them in the oven.

For cinnamon rolls, roll out the dough, cover with a melted butter, cinnamon, brown sugar mixture and roll up the dough. Cut in strips, put in greased pan and let them rise. Bake same as dinner rolls. Glaze with confectioners sugar/milk mix.

Latest posts