The Caterpillar in my pot

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well... about 4 nights ago I found an oddly colored caterpillar on my deck. I was thinking, my it is early.... I picked it up and tossed it in a flower pot half full of dirt.

Night before last it was still there... started to feel bad for it. So I tossed it some leaves and a piece of lettuce it went to town on.

It's still there.. alive and walking in circles!

I can't bring myself to kill it so I looked it up:

medium.jpg

Ok, cute and fuzzy got me. BUT then I saw what it turned into:

medium.jpg

My gosh that thing is cute for a moth!!! I wanna let it go back and be a moth... but at the same time.... is this thing going to ravage my garden of not.

It says its a leopard moth, but I've NEVER seen one before?!

(A lot of weird things out in the country, saw my first hummingbird moth last year. OH WOW!)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok, I'm just seeing it said online that they are not considered pests... they mostly feast on weed leaves. However, all the stuff I see about them being common are from Texas to California. Don't see much mention of them on the east coast?

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That is a really cool looking moth!! and if it east pest weeds .. you could let it have babies.. and never have to weed your garden again.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I let it pupae [sp]and see what it does..Weed eaters are good and they are someones dinner so good for the enviroment...

Latest posts