The fine line with sprouting

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When is the best time uncover the hot house and add light?

I am having a hard time deciding the right time to uncover the seeds and add light when some begin to sprout. I don't want to take the top off when only half my seeds have sprouted because I am in fear that if I do the rest won't germinate. Then if I wait until they all sprout I have leggy plants.

I put my tomatoes under the light this morning because they all had finally sprouted but they are already touching my lights and looking a little leggy. It was only a matter of 24 hours since the first sprouted until I had leggy plants. I'd say they are about an inch tall in that short a time.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Move the plants down or the lights up. If they are growing quickly, watch the growth. Once you have leaves on the stem, you should repot your tomatoes. The BEST advice I've heard is to do this about 3x before they go into your garden. Bury all but the top leaves. The lower leaves will turn into roots, and substantial roots will give you a really healthy plant. Other plants don't work this way.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I may use a baggy this year with a moist paper towel to start my few tomato seeds. 2 or 3 seeds. Only need one plant. Some of my seeds are nearing 10 years old, so I think I'll plant the oldest ones.

Latest posts