The Gopher Hunt Begins!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have trails and mounds out by the pond. Little tunnel bumps... and I know what we got here!

My husband was marching around the yard with an ax and hose. He's determined to off this bugger. And he's really MAD about it... he doesn't like anything messing with his precious grass. Not to mention I will have a veggie garden in the spring I want protected.

So, any suggestions on how to get it out and behead the little fuzzy?!

tfpets

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Youve got the hose and the hatchet!! Do the deed! Flooding em out can work but they network the tunnels so bad.

They sell nasty poisons at TSC and places, Im scared of them and dont like to risk them around my pets, but Ive heard people swear by them!

The gophers dont eat our lawn, cause its so ugly anyhow, they go straight for my garden!

Next year before you even start your garden, put plants that are offensive to them around as a barrier, I have heard that gopher purge (I dont know the official name) really works, I used to have it here and there, and I never had a gopher... I thought it was just cause I didnt have gophers up here???? I dont have the plants anymore.........Now my yard has TONS of gophers!! Im getting more gopher purge!

Good luck, take a break, have a cup of Camomile Tea, watch Caddy Shack.

CottageGardener123

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If you plant your vegies in a raised bed you can put wire on the bottom of it thats small enough for a gopher NOT to squeeze in. This works, I have so many gophers and they try to get in there but it's impossible. You can see mounds by the raised beds made by desperate gophers trying to get in.

If they are in other areas I recommend poisoning them. This works quite well but you have to be quick enough to poison them before they do any major damage. So, good luck on the gopher hunt, I can relate to you! ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I do have chicken wire I'm laying under my raised garden bed... but that's only for my veggies! For my other flowers and things, a lot are already in the ground and I don't want to lose things like bulbs already!?

Anyways.... my husband is the one on the mission, he's off helping a friend move today, but he said saturday at 7am he, the hose and ax have a date!

Latest posts