The Mail Prevails

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had a bit of a surprise today.

About a week or two ago, I was talking to my Dad during one of our daily conversations, and mentioned that I had marked a pair of small glass animals that I like for my collection, but was hesitant to buy them at this point, as both sellers were in Ukraine, and I had concerns of them actually MAKING it here under the circumstances. To my surprise, my dad (who usually serves as a sort of limiting factor and voice of reason/caution with regards to my purchases) INSISTED I buy them, and promised to re-imburse me if they didn't actually come (He said that, as important at it was to keep sending aid to Ukraine, it was equally important to support the Ukrainian craftspeople and make sure they could stay in business.)

Well, around 6:00PM today, a mail truck drove up with a registered package, and to my surprise, in it actually WAS one of the animals, it ACTUALLY made it through!

1653014995949.png

Now, we just have to see if the other one is just as lucky. Though technically, THAT one has a little more insurance in that 1. The city in Ukraine it was sent from is pretty far away from the front and 2. unlike this bee, the maker made at least TWO of the other one, so if the first one is damaged, I can try again.

Actually, one other big surprise was when I walked into a gift store I frequent last week and discovered that, despite what I would have expected, it appears they ARE still getting new glass figurines from Russia (glass figurine making seems to be a fairly popular craft THROUGHOUT the former USSR). I'd have thought they would have been stopped by the embargo. It will be interesting to see if, come Christmas (and depending on how things are then) The St. Petersburg Collection kiosk will be present at the Holiday Fair at Bryant Park in Manhattan. (of course, that also depends on the COVID situation being abated enough by then that I can actually GO to Manhattan and find out.)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
There has actually been another effect caused by the recent events related to this. There is a company called Like Adams Glass that I buy figurines from fairly frequently (as in about four every month for the last three or four months). For a long time, I SUSPECTED that, despite their claims of making all of them themselves, they were in fact buying a lot of their animals from Russia (due to the near identical style) and selling them at a markup (the fact that they had (and still have) a strict "no commissions" policy seemed to re-enforce this) . But now, it is obvious they ARE actually making their own, and the new models are a LOT more creative than the old stuff.

Here is an example (this one, alas, was already sold before I found it)

1653072747157.png

Last edited:

Latest posts