The New Asparagus Bed

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's my second year with my asparagus bed! I'll get my first harvest this year if it all went well. I only had 4 roots out of the 8 I planted that came up, but they all produced thick gorgeous ferns last year. I Know for sure 1 is female and it produced berries last year. I think the other 3 are male. Some stuff I read said the male will produce more and thicker spears, but we'll see.

I spent yesterday afternoon weeding the insane mess in that bed. All my beds are insane weed messes, but I want this one clean first. I also starting fixing the strawberry bed that is slowly being choked to death. That whole bed has to be moved. So I did some research because I don't know where to put them. Well, lucky me I came across this wonderful article on companion planting especially for strawberries and asparagus. So that is now where that berry bed is being moved. Maybe I'll be lucky and it will add to the weed control issue.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/companion-planting-zmaz95fmztak.aspx?PageId=1

While I'm thinking about this move, I'm contemplating what else can do well in this bed, whether flowers or veggies. What do you think?

njhilbilli

Sprout
Reaction score
LOVE asparagus ! A gift that truly keeps on giving ! Four of 8 ? Didja cover 'em too deep ? I did my first time. It's OK to put 'em in a "bowl" in the bed, and fill more soil as they grow. If you're old-timey enough to appreciate poke weed, you might consider placing a couple stands of it among your asparagus. I can't get by without a dozen crowns for my own(have to have enough to share) use. The asparagus, not the poke ! Once read that rock salt over winter in the bed would deter weeds, but never tried it. Putting down some clover this year. Also trying to position some perennial herbs at the near edge, for easy pickin's. The sage is making it through winter, but that's all so far. Last year I let a couple tomatoes ramble among the ferns, over a blanket of straw. If the tomato growth doesn't deter weeds, the straw performs nicely. Or any rambler... cantaloupe, cucumber. Just remember the more you grow, the more you must feed ! Good luck !

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We're starting over on our asparagus. The bed just is a MESS. It really is a lot of work to keep up with those weeds, I guess since we don't till it every year like we do the rest of the garden. But lucky you V! Fresh asparagus AND strawberries are 2 of my FAVORITE things about spring (along with pretty much every other aspect of spring. :D)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I LOVE my asparagus! The first year I planted roots, I also planted tomato and pepper plants that did well. I cut the plants off rather than pulling the roots. The second year I planted tomatoes and tomatillos amid the fronds. The third year I planted two honey berry starts. I also planted carrots around the outside edges of the bed. Now I tend to stick anything that needs a bit of space wherever there is space in the asparagus bed.

I have never thought about planting other perennials in the bed. I do want to move my rhubarb. . . that might be a good place for them, but I don't think I would plant my strawberries in there for fear they might not get enough sun and would be harder to cover from flying vermin.

dick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I can't wait for asparagus season to begin.
Strawberries were my 1st venture into gardening.

THANX RICH

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Smart Red - I guess your asparagus didn't have any trouble when you planted other stuff around it? I was debating that last year, but I had a few people say it interferes with the growth of the asparagus. But that would be a great way to keep the weeds from going nuts.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
No problem with the asparagus growing. By the time I was through with the harvest, the other plants were coming into their own. I do fertilize the bed heavily each fall -- something that needs doing anyway and I cut the other plants down to the ground rather than disturb asparagus roots by pulling them.

I am hoping that someday the asparagus will spread and fill the bed so there won't be 'extra' room, but I hate to see space going to waste (or weeds).

Latest posts