The problem with winter gardening. . .

MarkR

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
. . . is that it just ain't natural. I thought I'd just want to keep up the good vibes, but I realize that winter provides a needed break. Yes, I'm still eating lettuce from outside. . . and chard, leeks, spinach, etc. But I should be sitting in front of the fire and going through seeds and catalogs and stuff. It doesn't help that it's a freakishly warm winter so far.

Mark

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You're having a freakishly warm winter, and our is, for us, a very snowy winter so far - we've had more snow this December than we had all of last winter! I do like the break, I have to admit, I don't mind a bit not being able to get out there and plant or weed. Winter is the time for catalogs and dreams; it's necessary to get through it in order to enjoy the glory of spring! :watering

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
More power to ya' Mark for takin' a shot at it and enjoying the greens.

We've had 18.2 inches of snowfall so far in December which is about 50% above normal. Next month will be more interesting since our annual snow-fall is 46 inches. To this point, it has come and then melted and come again.

Now 46 inches total is nothing special I realize but it is somethin' given that there's less than 20 inches of precipitation annually in my corner of the world. As you can see, most of it falls as snow. I think that it is great that so much of the white stuff is piling up in the nearby mountains - more water for our Summer!!
:rainbow-sun

Steve

peeps7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It's been warm here too. We would still have tomatoes but I pulled them up and gave them to the chickens. :)

Latest posts