The Quinoa Thread

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is my first time trying to grow quinoa so I will post information I find on growing it and my results here.

First thing I learned it is LIKES COOL WEATHER. I thought it was a summer crop.

"Quinoa grows best where maximum temperatures do not exceed 90F (32C) and nighttime temperatures are cool. For most southern Canadian and northern U.S. sites, the best time to plant quinoa is late April to late May. When soil temperatures are around 60F (15C) seedlings emerge within three to four days. However, when quinoa seeds are planted in soil with night-time temperatures much above that, quinoa, like spinach, may not germinate. In this instance, it's best to refrigerate seeds before planting."
http://www.saltspringseeds.com/scoop/powerfood.htm

This means I need to get my quinoa bed ready NOW. Looks like I will plant quinoa the same time I plant peas.

ohiogoatgirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
interesting. i thought it had to be planted later, like with corn. hm... i better get my quinoa area ready too then!

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What exactly do you do with it?

(Sorry, I've lived a sheltered life.) lol

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting plant, wonder how much a plant will produce? Guess i will have to keep an eye on this thread and see!

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, WZ, I thought my seed purchasing was finished for this year..... :tongue

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
According to those photos I already grow quinoa... I thought I was growing "elephant head" and "love lies bleeding". Hmmm. So, I can eat those plants?? I was nervous to give them to the chickens, but it seems like I should. A word of warning- these things reseed a lot! And in strange places.. I think the birds must replant them. Keep your eyes on the little seedlings, or your world will be taken over.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You aren't growing quinoa, you are growing AMARANTH! Good news because that is ALSO a seed that can be used like a grain that is high in protein. Not only can you feed them to your birds, you can use the greens like spinach.

I am also trying amaranth this year. I bought love lies bleeding, golden, burgundy and joseph's coat. The joseph's coat is supposed to be better as a green. The golden is better for seeds.

Latest posts