The root of all evil.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
6486_imgp3018_web.jpg

That would be quackgrass.

I HATE this stuff!!! :somad It's everywhere!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fence it off and raise pigs in there. Make sure the population density is pretty high so it's all turned to a wasteland for the entire season. But that only helps the area you fence off temporarily. It'll spread and re-seed from outside.

I don't have that stuff for which I'm grateful. My battle is mainly with Bermuda grass.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I recognize quack grass too well.

I'd like to know how Journey pulled those plants out with roots, so well.

I will share my technique. We can all benefit from Journey's knowledge of resisting evil.

Steve
interesting. i wrote "crab" instead of quack way back in may. must have had a senior moment.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
Fence it off and raise pigs in there. Make sure the population density is pretty high so it's all turned to a wasteland for the entire season. But that only helps the area you fence off temporarily. It'll spread and re-seed from outside.

I don't have that stuff for which I'm grateful. My battle is mainly with Bermuda grass.
LOL, could be my turn to be the obnoxious neighbor. :lol: I'd gladly put a couple pigs in my backyard if I could. :D That would certainly do the trick.

This clump came out of my herb garden where the soil has been well-worked and is full of nice composty stuff. So I have happy, well-fed, evil weeds!

One of the more effective things I've tried over the past 6 years I've lived here (never had this grass at my old home) was to take strips of rubber coal conveyor belt my DH got from the plant and let it lie for about a month. It's so heavy it smothers everything out. I have been keeping a perimeter established by going all around my garden with it. After trying every kinder method I could think of, I will confess to using Roundup on it in my flowerbeds. Sorry...I know coal conveyor belt is hard to come by, so that is no help. :p

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have that junk growing EVERYWHERE. What is killing me, is the new seedlings look a lot like my sorghum I have going, so I'm being very careful not to pull the wrong stuff. :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That "establishing a perimeter" is important, Journey.

I once tried to suppress quack grass in garden paths. My deep layer of wood chips did a very good job at -- driving the stuff into the planting beds!!

Yeah, it wasn't any trouble for those rhizomes to travel 12" in either direction.

I've got 2' paths around all of my gardens. I then sheer off everything with a weedwacker along the outer edge. Still it encroaches into those paths. A spading fork with follow-up by a 4-prong cultivator gets it out. The soil needs to be moist to loosen because my big feet pack it down running patrols.

Guard your garden.

Steve

samp615

Sprout
Reaction score
Yikes. This stuff is the worst. Were you able to control it?

Latest posts