TheEasyGarden's Great Corn Experiment! *Come Join In*

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was thinking that we could be a good test group. To see if corn is, or is not, better when the suckers are removed from the mother plants.

Being that we are all growing different corn varieties, and are from different areas, it won't be a sterile scientific experiment, but those same variables should give us the answer we are looking for, and make it interesting. :)

To participate, all you need to do, is post under this post, and let us know what type of corn you are growing.

Then, as your corn grows, you will need to choose a row, or section of your corn, and remove the suckers from the mother plants, while leaving them on the others.

As they grow, you might want to come in and note if one plant seems hardier, or larger, than the others. Or if one has earlier ears, or larger/smaller ears.

Then, the true test....tasting! Once you are ready to pick corn, we'd like to know how the ears in each group look....and taste!

Yep, that's right. In the name of the experiment, you must eat some from each group! Torture, I know, but am sure you will all sacrifice for the good of the whole! :happy_flower

:coolsun

Alright, go forth, and hoe! :tools

(This is an idea of my own, and has not been sanctioned by the site. I wouldn't want to give anyone the wrong impression on that.)

redhen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
hi.. i'm very new to gardening....and trying a couple rows of corn..ruby red hybrid SE..and they probably wont grow..lol..but..if they do..i'll try taking the suckers off some..but..what exactly are the suckers?..little side shoots?..thanks..oh.. i'm in western mass, i think zone 4 or 5?..

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome, Redhen! :happy_flower

I know you will really enjoy it here!

That would be great! And yes, that's exactly what a 'sucker' is.

I've never grown ruby red, but know that you can pick it either early, when it's super sweet, or wait a little longer, when it tastes more like old fashioned corn.

Have you planted them yet? I believe that it's best to plant it with another variety, another SE, so that you get better pollination.

I love that you are just going to try to grow it, and see what happens. Many times I've been told that something won't grow in my area, soil etc., but try anyway. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not, but it's worth trying either way!

I hope they do well; good luck! :)

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have planted Silver Queen and salt and pepper.

Not big enough to sucker yet, but I have never done it before with either of these and they both make good growing and tasteing corn.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi, Grow 4 Food! :happy_flower

I'm familiar with, Silver Queen, but not, Salt and Pepper. Just guessing here, but is it a bi-colored corn with both light and dark kernels?

The last time I saw someone grow, Silver Queen, I was impressed by the size of the plants, and the ears! A lot different than my little, Painted Mountain! :D

I'd love it if your 2 varieties could be part of this experiment; that would make 4 separate types, so far! :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am growing 3 separate, 4 ft. x 65 ft. raised-beds of Ambrosia in a succession planting. I would be willing to sucker one bed and not sucker the others just to see what difference, if any, may result. Not exactly scientific methods under controlled conditions but fun, nonetheless! :D

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That would be great, Beekissed! :coolsun

That's a good variety for you to sell, since it is a little earlier. And I don't know about there, but the white and yellow bi-colored corns are in favor here, so a good bet to market.

Have you ever had it before? It's definitely sweet, but not as sweet as some others, and I think that goes over a little better with people, too.

LOL! No, not something to write to a plant journal about, but we might be able to come to some interesting conclusions just for our own purposes! Thanks for joining in! :happy_flower

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I find the Ambrosia to have the sweet taste without losing the "corny" flavor that folks like. Nice big ears also. Folks around here like the bicolor better than the white, though I don't know why. I like Ambrosia so much that I usually eat it without any butter or salt....don't want to ruin or mask the good flavor!! :D

pate4ever

Sprout
Reaction score
I am trying to grow Spring Treat Corn. Also, I bought some popcorn variety and planted two rows of that. I would like to take part in this experiment.

Latest posts