This years harvest

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been off here for a while, but here are a few pics of what happened here this year
6364_100_1280.jpg
6364_100_1252.jpg

The orchard that we helped plant when we moved here is starting to bear, we froze a lot
of peaches, blackberries, and made grape jelly. We also had some cherries ,apples and pears
to eat fresh. Hope this is just the beginning of lots of fresh fruit for years to come!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, here you are, 4grandbabies!

I am not sure if I got a tomato over a pound this year! It seems like if they are that big they are few and far between and, often, very late. Do you know the variety?

The peach tree must have had its blossom just right (or, wrong :/) for the last hard frost. Not a single fruit this year. The tree does look better than in 2012, so likely benefited from a year off.

Steve

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, super congrats!!!

:thumbsup

That tomato is amazing!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Goliath?

Ack! That is one I grow! "Original Goliath" hybrid . . .

Oh shucks, you did good 4grandbabies! Keep up the good work :p.

Steve

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Goliath?

Ack! That is one I grow! "Original Goliath" hybrid . . .

Oh shucks, you did good 4grandbabies! Keep up the good work :p.

Steve
We really like the flavor of Goliath

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I can say a couple of things about my little Goliaths ;).

They are always just a tad bigger than Big Beef, which I often grow. Neither are inclined to split but if Big Beef tomatoes do, they just look terrible because of that perfectly round shape.

Goliaths are just a little earlier than Big Beef. In fact, they are really an early tomato! They can't match Early Girl but we have been trying to figure out a substitute for EG for the longest time on TEG! Goliath has the edge in size, no question about that. So, it is really early for such a nice-sized beefsteak.

Tomato Growers Supply (link) sells an original Original Goliath :p. It isn't a hybrid and they say it's been around since "the late 1800's." However, it is an 85 day tomato so I guess I won't be trying that one . . .

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good to see you, 4Grandbabies! :frow Looks like you had an abundant summer. What a tomato! :cool:

Latest posts