Three sisters planting

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I know about planting the green beans to grow up the corn stalks, and it makes sense to grow the pumpkins at the bottom, but I am cornfused :p about growing the corn in hills. I have grown tomatoes, squash, and cucumbers in hills before, but not corn. How big of a hill would it have to be for 6 corn plants per hill?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This website will give you information on how a biologist at Kenyon College grew her Three Sisters garden (or was it 4 sisters?) - polyculture anyway. The spacing of the hills is given.

I once read something on the etymology of the word "hills" as it may apply to our gardening. The word is probably from the Dutch language and since it was nearly the same as English in both pronunciation and meaning it has been just a tiny bit confused. When the Dutch used the term they were talking about groupings of plants on an otherwise flat plane. The plants themselves grew to form a hill.

You may wish to gather the soil to make a mound but it isn't always what is meant by the term. It may be a good idea, however, to pull soil together especially if the top soil is shallow or the soil stays wet too long into the growing season.

My squash and pumpkins often sneaks in amongst the corn and I nearly always plant them as neighbors. But, the only time I planted pole beans in the sweet corn it overwhelmed the corn plants. Their growth was hindered and development was delayed by the rambunctious bean vines. You need to know that I plant early maturing corn varieties which tend to be pretty darn small plants. Those Cherokee Long Ear plants being called "small (for corn), growing 6 to 8 feet in height" compare somewhat small-wise. The varieties I grow don't often grow taller than 6'. Putting beans in with them was too much to ask of the corn.

You should probably know that the corn you choose will reach 7' and taller or, maybe, plant the beans a week or so later than the corn.

Steve

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
digitS' said:
You should probably know that the corn you choose will reach 7' and taller or, maybe, plant the beans a week or so later than the corn.

Steve
That's the way I was taught by an old-timer farmer. Plant the beans two weeks after the corn. I've done this with pretty good results, just never thought about letting the pumpkins share the space too. And I do make actual hills for my squash and cukes. I guess the hills for corn should be a tad bit larger.

Latest posts