tiller recommendation please

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations for a tiller. The fenced garden is 50 x 75 feet, and while I had started putting in raised beds, I think I'm going to take most of them apart with the intent of tilling the whole thing and then tossing the rectangles where ever I want them this time around. (Except for a couple for permanent plantings like Jerusalem artichoke and asparagus.)

From a quick search I gather I want one that has the option of running the tines in forward or reverse.

How big should it be? (Both the engine, and the width of the tiller.) I'm no weakling and I realize tilling is always going to be work, but I also don't want something that is so huge and hard to use I'll just avoid ever getting it out. The ground is a mix of sand and clay. It seems mostly sand when wet, but it bakes into concrete. We are, of course, adding organic matter as fast as we can make compost.

Any favorite brands? We're partial to Honda engines around here... I have one of the itty bitty Honda tillers (like a Mantis) but it's really not fair to ask it to till large sections.

Thanks,
-Wendy

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree honda engines are elite. I've got a MTD rear tine tiller. My dad had a cub cadet, except for color of tiller, they are identical. I do like my tiller. Easy to start and work.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have always thought the Mantis was the best they come in different sizes... they even have an electric one now...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a little Troybilt Tuffy that I love, I bought when my kids were babies so It must be 20 years old or so. It doesn't have a reverse till, and my husband replaced the original Tecumseh engine with a Honda. Have you looked at BCS? I've heard good things about them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wendy, I bought a Craftsman 850 (190cc) rear tine about 5 years ago. It was virtually identical to the Craftsman I used for many, many years except that I had a choice of forward & reverse whereas the old one only had only reverse tilling.

There are advantages & disadvantages to operating the tines in either direction. It is good to have a choice.

I believe that Sears has discontinued this model and now sells a 208cc one. It has 18" tines and the 190cc has 17" tines. My tiller has a Briggs & Stratton engine but with the newer one Sears just claims the engine is a "Craftsman." (click)

I was quite satisfied with the old one and that's why I got the 190cc. Tilling my gardens is quite a challenge for it (& for me ;)) because of all the rock. BTW - I also have Honda's little Mantis-type tiller. Second one I've had of those, also. I've worn out the tines even with limited use but I appreciate its reliability for starting and running.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have the Airens front tine tiller with a Subaru engine (made in USA :) ), i got it last summer and it works ok for soil that has been worked a few seasons over. it's a little light to be trying to break new ground unless you have some muscle to keep it in check. wish i had noticed how the handles were set up or that it didn't have the reverse gear like my dad's Craftsman front tine that is at least 10 years and still running!

i would have gone for the Craftsman last year but no one in the area had one in stock and i didn't like that they didn't advertise what engine brand was in it.

Latest posts