Tillers

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wish i had a good tiller. When I started I did a quarter acre by hand with a shovel. I was 16... :rolleyes: I plan on expanding to half an acre this year. About 22k sq feet.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I can't complain about the Mantis for power at all, then again, I knew going in what a big tiller could do vs. a Mantis, so I wasn't expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised. The Mantis broke through the fairly thick crabgrass I've got for a lawn out back, I tilled a 15' x 35' plot in no time at all. I wasn't looking for depth, but if you want to dig down with one, all you have to do is move it back and forth and it'll bury itself in no time. If I were tilling the whole plot for the first time (it's about 35'x50') there's no way I'd use the Mantis, but for poking around it works just fine. I'm not one to use a tiller to weed so I can't speak to that. I prefer to hoe and pull myself, or get down on my hands and knees and really go over the plot.

The four cylinder is so much quieter than the two-stroke I'm amazed at the difference. Many have problems with the two stroke, mainly getting it started after a winter's rest. I have to say I had no problems with it at all, then again I brought it into the cellar so it never really got freezing cold.

The only reason I ended up with the Honda engine and the four cylinder is a tree fell on my shed, a large branch punctured the roof and crushed the Mantis, so insurance bought me a new one :weight I send the crushed one over to my brother, the engine was fine, just the handles were crumpled, if he ever gets roundtuit he'll have a nice tiller.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I finally bought my tiller last week - I did get the Craftsman - I really wanted the Troy Built, but that was a little out of my price range and bigger than I really need. Now, if it would just quit raining on the weekends I might actually get to use it! :barnie

Oh, and Daylight Saving Time starts next month so that will give me time in the yard after work! :ya :rainbow-sun

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DH has an 19 year-old TroyBilt Pony (rear tines), still going strong and never had anything done to it. That's pretty good considering our soil is heavy clay with lots of rocks. The tines are worn down to the point that they need replacing--I'm sure that will be expensive. He bought me an electric Mantis last year for tight spaces and small jobs. I'm very impressed with it.

Latest posts