Time to plant?

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our "winter" weather seems to be gone. The extended forecast is for the low-mid forties for LOWS for the next two weeks.

After that, I just don't see the temps dropping into freezing levels in late March.

So I am thinking about going for it, and putting out most of my beans, squash, tomatoes, etc...

Thoughts?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would go for it (maybe wait a bit on the tomatoes.) Just be ready with some sheets, in case mother nature doesn't appreciate your optimism! Happy Gardening! Our temps were below zero last night, so I think I'll wait awhile!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well even then wouldn't the tomatoes/peppers ect prefer the ground to be in the 70's and wouldn't you want to wait until maybe April in your Zone at least. Less running out to cover them in emergencies?

I know the feeling though... hubby laughs at me... because I yell outside "Mother Nature, you can not trick me and lull me into a false sense of security!!!! But thanks for the AWESOME weather!!!".

And yes... I've really done that loud enough the neighbor's heard me! ;)

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've got burlap nearby just in case. Some of my tomatoes are already in and survived snow of all things ( some better than others), but yeah, I am thinking its time perhaps this weekend.

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I refuse to say you should err on the side of caution! :D

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
All gardening is local. We all have different conditions. If it is time in your area, it is time.

But Vfem is probably right. The tomatoes will probably live and may even get a head start and grow some roots but your seeds might not sprout in that cold ground. I've had trouble with beans (and other things) sprouting in cold ground. You might want to consider black plastic or someting to heat the ground so they will sprout. You can sometimes fool Mother Nature, but she does not go out of her way to make it easy.

I'd also have a source of more seeds or tomato plants in case you need to replant.

I'll also mention that I picked up some sheets at a thrift store real cheap, like $1.25 for a not new queen sized flat sheet.

You asked for thoughts. Those are mine.

Editted to add. Beets, peas, chard, kale, and other cool weather crops may already be late for you.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
oops, forgot to add important details.

I am talking about tomato transplants, not from seed.

And actually, most of what I am thinking about getting in the ground are transplants I started from seed in my hoop-house.

Latest posts