To straw or not to straw, that is the question?

modern_pioneer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
In the past I have put straw down around my strawberry plants for weed control and to keep the berries off the ground.

Today, a friend stated that the berrys would rot quicker.

Watcha think?

:idunno

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi modern_pioneer!
:frow
I've always used straw or a strawberry pot to keep the strawberries off the dirt.

But then I'm not a very seasoned gardener.

Good Luck!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've heard that straw is the way to go because is keeps them FROM rotting since they're not sitting in the dirt with the slugs and the damp.

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I use straw around everything and I think it works great. No weeds and I've never had things rot. I think it actually keeps things clean and safe from bugs.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use about 6 inches of straw around ALL my plants in the summer here. It helps keep the moisture in the soil, and keep any crop cleaner when you water or it rains.

I LOVE straw!! It smells so nice!!

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
rebbetzin said:
I use about 6 inches of straw around ALL my plants in the summer here. It helps keep the moisture in the soil, and keep any crop cleaner when you water or it rains.

I LOVE straw!! It smells so nice!!
How are yall watering with the straw on top of the ground. Are yall watering on top of the straw and the water soaks down or are yall watering underneath the straw?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Water will quickly soak right through to the ground. I believe there's a reason they're called *straw*berries, straw is the traditional mulch. What causes them to rot is excessive moisture on the ground, which is why the straw is used to elevate the berries. Much needed these days around here! :rolleyes:

And modern_pioneer, :welcome About time you got here! :rainbow-sun

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like to put straw around everything but I find two things happen here ..

1 I end up with a huge mushroom farm ..no biggie does not hurt anything and gives the fairies a place to hide...they are not ones I like to eat however so that is a bummer!

2 no matter how little seed is in the straw it GROWS!!!!!!! and I have a heck of a time weeding it out!!!!!

seriously I have hay growing everywhere I put straw and am constantly pulling it out around the flowers and vegetables!!!