Tomato 2022

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
And they are off! 45 Steak, Super Steak, Roma And Sweetie Cherries on a 30 day countdown to ground! A Lot of the peppers are up also but that was enough for one day!
180BucksofTomatoes.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have seed for the slowest tomato varieties in the soil mix 🍅.

Those will go first in 4-packs and then in 4" pots before moving to the garden.

The next tomato seed to start will be those that are early, especially those that can get a little out-of-hand if there is a delay in setting out. Last sown will be those that stay in 4-packs until setting out.

Steve

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
IF I can catch that timing where they go in the ground and do not stall with cold soil or bad weather, then the first fruits can be really amazing! Another timing issue is the fertilizer bombs I plant deep under them so that they get increasingly fed the bigger they grow, culminating with a mature plant that has its toes in the feed trough just as the big branches are reaching for the sky!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am (always) behind on my planting. I decided that since I have been given 2 freebie packages of some-kind-of-a-tomato from two recent seed orders, AND I saved the seeds from a Cherokee Purple, They will be started this weekend and they will be my first-to-go-into-the-ground volunteers, since they cost me $0.
I have some very nice tomato seeds, for 2021, that I bought 15 months ago from High Mowing. They have been stored dry and dark and I will start some of them next month.

Last edited:

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
IF I can catch that timing where they go in the ground and do not stall with cold soil or bad weather, then the first fruits can be really amazing! Another timing issue is the fertilizer bombs I plant deep under them so that they get increasingly fed the bigger they grow, culminating with a mature plant that has its toes in the feed trough just as the big branches are reaching for the sky!
I am on a sand dune. Putting fertilizer underneath the plants would be a waste of fertilizer as the water would wash the fertilizer away. In my experience my tomato plant roots don't go below 8" deep. I add fertilizer on top.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am on a sand dune. Putting fertilizer underneath the plants would be a waste of fertilizer as the water would wash the fertilizer away. In my experience my tomato plant roots don't go below 8" deep. I add fertilizer on top.
Have you tried biochar? The suface area and holding capacity is really high.

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Based on what little information that I could find about biochar, I won't be trying it. I continue to add more and more organic material to my garden site every year. It still looks to be 90% sand after nearly 30 years of additions..

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Based on what little information that I could find about biochar, I won't be trying it. I continue to add more and more organic material to my garden site every year. It still looks to be 90% sand after nearly 30 years of additions..
You may not be reading the idea correctly. One of the only non dissolving components that helps sandy soil is carbon. Some soils have carbon and for those it is of no service. For sand it is a holy grail. It is basically a compost that does not dissolve. The humic material solids are of use as well.

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Where one of my gardens is located, much of the topsoil was scraped away during construction of the house next door... they were bull dozing 10' onto my property as I came home from work. :mad: Even after some of that soil was returned, that area was still a reddish-brown silt clay. Now, after about 10 years of cultivation, it was beginning to wind down. I've been adding charcoal, wood ashes, and shredded leaves to my home gardens for the last 2 years, especially to that one. The vigor of everything last year was outstanding, the tallest tomato plants I've ever grown here.

Last edited:

Latest posts