Tomato A La Fine' !

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well,

Sad to see them go, I have been covering my tomatoes for several nights now hoping the weather would turn over. It did, hot days and freezing nights! LOL

So no sense in keeping what remains out there since the plants are completely melted to the ground by the freeze. I brought in all that remained.

Here is the lot of them:
2vxhcbc.jpg

Here are my ripe Cherry maters.. yummy! I will have to force myself to eat these right away LOL
6qftc3.jpg

I know if I leave everyone all bunched like that I am just going to make a mess, and since counter space and table space is limited, I cleared out my window-cabinet (I took the back off of this cabinet to butt up to the window that is already there). I think this will be a perfect visual place to put them and they get the morning sun to ripen them (Hopefully)

Some of them are rather large!
6odgjo.jpg

29vz42u.jpg

21eqmvb.jpg

2lvhldz.jpg

I hope they all turn red!

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice cash of mators.
I wish you luck with them turning red.

I like the window cabinet!

Is that a Pomegranate in the first picture?
If so is that off your tree?

Joe

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh Ron! I'm so sorry your tomatoes are done for the season :( Just so you know, the sun doesn't actually ripen the tomatoes but a sunny window can't hurt. If the most of those are Brandywines it may be touch and go since they aren't the best "keepers". Crossing my fingers you get some riped ones from them :fl

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh that is sad to hear that Broke! Bummer! The little green ones are all Cherry tomatoes, do you think they have a better chance?

Joe, yeah that is a pomegranate, stolen from the neighbors bush. They let them rot every year, so I sneak some over here. You would freak if I showed you a picture of their bush filled and the ground surrounding the bush is covered in fruit and debris from where the squirrels go to town.

Ron

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ron, that is a good "haul" .

I thought you had major problems with your tomatoes this year! Looks more like you got a good return on investment.

The bad weather from CO finally got to your neck of the woods, eh?

I usually have good luck with ripening tomatoes but, of course, they have less and less flavor as the weeks role by. That doesn't encourage me to bring in too many greenies.

Mine all had some color when I last harvested out of the garden and I chopped up 2 Big Beefs (decidedly small) for my pasta dish today . . . now down to 5 :rolleyes:. Thessaloniki last real well.

Steve

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Steve,

These are this year's tomatoes! All of them! My plants did not start producing until just a month ago; these are the results!

I think I got a total of 5 ripened Brandywines all year, of the ones I canned earlier (making about 6 pint sized jars of sauce) were from a plant that did not like the Heat of summer and fizzled out long ago.

As for the Cherries, these are it; my highlight are those red ones! I did get some for salads over the summer, but not as many as I have now.

Ron :hit

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've had the sad green tomato dilemma all too often... fried green tomatoes was not my plan ...:rant

They seem like such an 'all or nothing' crop ... up here anyway. This was a great year ... the previous two years were 'hope you liked your BLT' years.

I've had some luck with taking the ripest ones, ones with the most glossy white on them... place them blossom side down in a box or paper bag, and put a ripe tom or ripe apple in with them. Close it up and put it in the coolest place you have. (Single layer works better)
Check it often for ones that might start to rot.

Ripe/ripening fruit gives off ethylene gas that can stimulate the ripening process.
'Off the vine' ripened fruit is not quite as flavorful, but still beats what you buy at the grocery!

Best of luck!....:fl

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow ! Ron thats a lot of green tomatoes. Its sad thats the season is over for tomatoes but at least you can still eat tomatoes from the garden even though they didnt ripen in the garden. I wish you luck that they'll all turn red for you. You could place a banana or a few apples near them that will speed the process up.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks,

I am glad I posted.

You guys know I am an Ornamental grower, so tomatoes are not my best avenue of expression.

I am glad to find out that the ethylene gas from ripened fruit such as bananas and or an apple will speed this process up, as well as a darkened cooler area.

I will move these tomorrow. I do have some apples on hand and I can always go get some bananas.

Thanks for your help. To be honest I have never tasted or even seen a Fried Green Tomato, but the movie is my favorite!

"how many of them hormones you taking honey?" LOL

Ron

Latest posts