Tomato Question

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
One of my favorite soups is condensed tomato soup. So I was wondering. How do you make tomato soup from home grown tomatoes? Will it be the same? I ask because I want to start growing my own food. This year I'm picking some things I like to eat and I'm going to attempt to grow the ingredients. I love pickles, therefor I am going to attempt to grow cucumbers. I also love mint tea, so I'm going to try and grow mint. Another thing is tomato soup. I wasn't planning on tomatoes this year but now I'm starting to think about it. I might go up to the garden store and pick up some plants.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tomato soup in a can == cream of tomato soup.

Best tomato soup ever:

Peel 4 lb. paste tomatoes (yes, that much). Cut an X in the bottom and dip in boiling water for 30 sec. Then run cold water on top and peel. The skins will come right off. Then cut in half and scoop out seeds. Set the remaining tomato on a foil-covered cookie sheet. Put cookie sheets in oven at 400 for about 20-30 min. This will roast the tomatoes and bring out their tomatoey goodness. Set aside.

In the meantime, finely chop a medium onion and saute in 4 tbsp. butter till soft. Add a little bit of tomato juice (like, 1/2 c.), a couple teaspoons of brown sugar (depending on the acidity of the tomatoes), a couple of smashed allspice berries. Simmer and thicken with 2 tbsp. flour. Gradually add about 2 c. more tomato juice and 1 1/2 c. broth (any kind of broth is good). Simmer again, then add in the roasted tomatoes. Let cook 10 minutes and puree in the blender (you may have to do this in a couple of batches). Stir in 1/2 c. cream and 2 tbsp. dry sherry or brandy. Salt to taste.

Very good w/ grilled cheese. I promise. ;)

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Tomato soup in a can == cream of tomato soup.

Best tomato soup ever:

Peel 4 lb. paste tomatoes (yes, that much). Cut an X in the bottom and dip in boiling water for 30 sec. Then run cold water on top and peel. The skins will come right off. Then cut in half and scoop out seeds. Set the remaining tomato on a foil-covered cookie sheet. Put cookie sheets in oven at 400 for about 20-30 min. This will roast the tomatoes and bring out their tomatoey goodness. Set aside.

In the meantime, finely chop a medium onion and saute in 4 tbsp. butter till soft. Add a little bit of tomato juice (like, 1/2 c.), a couple teaspoons of brown sugar (depending on the acidity of the tomatoes), a couple of smashed allspice berries. Simmer and thicken with 2 tbsp. flour. Gradually add about 2 c. more tomato juice and 1 1/2 c. broth (any kind of broth is good). Simmer again, then add in the roasted tomatoes. Let cook 10 minutes and puree in the blender (you may have to do this in a couple of batches). Stir in 1/2 c. cream and 2 tbsp. dry sherry or brandy. Salt to taste.

Very good w/ grilled cheese. I promise. ;)
WOW! About the time this was posted yesterday, I was craving tomato soup, because I have a cold and wanted comfort food. And not a can in the house, only chicken noodle. Bleh.

I went without, because nothing else appealed to me. I started wondering about making and canning my own. Lo and behold, here it is! :celebrate I think I can can it in pint jars, add the cream/milk when we eat it.

Thank you so much! Just turned around and told DH we need to plant more Romas.

Latest posts