Tomato Seedling Survived!

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
While cleaning out the garden before tilling up the dead squash and zucchini plants, I came across a tray of starter pots that had been left in the garden after we planted tomatoes. The pots had become overgrown with weeds and squash, and I forgot that they were there. Several of the pots had tomato seedlings that we never planted in the ground, but since we hadn't cared for them through the summer and the drought, I just assumed they were all dead.

Then I pulled the tray out of the weeds, and found that one of the Brandywine plants had survived! It had climbed through the squash more than six feet, and it was still rooted inside the little starter pot. It doesn't look like it ever had any fruit, but it's alive! What are the odds?

DSC05222.JPG

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is utterly incredible!! Can you try and save it? If you cut off that long stem, I think it would reroot itself. That is so amazing with hardly any water! If you can get it to fruit- I think it would be worth saving seeds! Drought resistant for sure!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! Dig a trench 5 inches deep and a few feet long, and bury the whole thing after cutting that pot off, except for the top part of the plant, maybe the top 10 inches. Give that girl primo conditions. She deserves it.

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pretty amazing if you had any less than 3x the rain we saw here, though I'm doubting it's worth the trouble to get it in the ground this late into the season, looks like it's supposed to get down to freezing there tonight or tomorrow night.

Latest posts