Tomato Trimmings

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anyone save and root the suckers they break off tomato plants? I plunked a few in a coffee can with water, and now they have a zillion roots. I think I will wait a couple more weeks before I plant them. There's really no room right now; I'll have some spent flowers to cut down/pull out by then, probably.
The tomatoes are all indeterminate. Do determinate tomatoes work better for this method?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't, So Lucky, but you reminded me of what I mentioned to @HmooseK several days ago. And, I went searching for that Houston gardener who was taking cuttings over several years. (There is a little of a sad element to this story but I'll leave that aside.) He wrote this just over 10 years ago:

"gonefishin(z7bTx)
I have had great success by taking a 16 Oz. styrofoam cup with a couple of pencil size holes poked in the bottom and fill it with Miracle Grow Potting Soil with Moisture Control. I wet the mix good then go looking for a growing tip or truss that I want to root. I cut it off at an angle and stick it immediately into the mix then put the cup in the shade. I water it a little each day or let it bottom soak and before long there are plenty of roots on the cutting and it is ready to be transplanted into the ground.

Here is a taken from a Large Red Cherry which has grown out the top of a 5' CRW tomato cage and is loaded with tomatoes. I have had cuttings from the cuttings do the same.

I have one particular variety of tomato that I am having problems with getting it to germinate satisfactorily, but have two or three up now so I will take cuttings from them later on and get the plants that I want and then save seed later on. More than one way to skin a cat.
Good luck with your efforts.
Bill P."

I learned quite a lot from Bill. This was on another forum and that outfit might well be what @aftermidnight was referring to in "New Members" and her hope that they would find a home on TEG.

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
That had never crossed my mind... but now that you mention it, it might be a good idea! My romas have JUST gotten big enough that I ran out last night just before a storm hit and got them trellised and tied up. I was planning to go out this evening and trim everything from ground to the first wire and decide which one to keep from the few that have two plants..
Perhaps I'll start another row with the trimmings.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I sure didn't go to the trouble that Bill did. I just cut them off and stuck them in water. Every evening they are wilted down from the sun, but perked up again by morning.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
With all the strong storms we have been having lately, my tomato starts keep blowing out of the plastic cup of water I have them in. Yesterday I found them on the concrete, dried and limp. I put them back in the water. This morning I found them out on the concrete again, but still perky. So I put them back in. Tomorrow morning I am sure I will find them out again, but probably still perky, since it is so wet out. We have had terrible storms here this evening. I guess I am giving them "stress conditioning"

Michigan_Nick

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How quickly do they begin to develop roots? I wondered the same thing but wasn't sure how well it worked. Will it work on any vegetable plant sucker? Could you share a few pictures? Only a curious young gardener. :cool:

Latest posts