Tomatoes a dissappointment so far

Rugosa1

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Planted about 10 Beefsteak Tomatoes , a few Ultra Girl and 4 Cherrie Tomatoes this spring . The Cherry Tomatoes have been a let down because something ate them (only half) and also destroyed the plants in the process. I have a good idea what it could be namely the Chipmunks and the Red, Black and Grey Squirrels. And there is no defence for those, they have been living here in great numbers especially this year, it is because we feed the birds. So that brings the unwanted 'guests' here as well. Also, our July has been very dry, so the wild life has to fend for themselves more then ever. Pitty.
Next year I will try to put my Cherry Tomatoes each in a large planter and cover them each with a net, see how that works. A gardeners work is never done !

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes, nature brings joy and devastation all at once! My friend went through a similar problem this year. She got rid of her raised bed and moved all her plants to pots and had to move them to where they would get more sun. Unfortunately, the squirrels saw the move and moved in for an early summer salad bar. They were doing REALLY well in the pots until the enemy spotted them and attacked! :he

Well, I wish you luck next year they can't all go terribly wrong all the time.... but I look at it as I always have 1 or 2 bad crops each year, but something else always makes up for it. So I can still look on the positive a bit. :weight

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would hate to garden without a couple of cats... I tell you, they are on patrol- and it makes a very positive difference. They rarely catch adult squirrels, but they scare them off. I hate to think what my garden would be like if all the dead voles I picked up, had lived!! I would have had nothing left...Better luck next year!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cats are great, and so is my little Doxie, a better mouser then a lot of cats. And he doesn't go after birds. (well except my chickens :somad which we are making progress on)

My tomatoes were horrible this year too. I have piddled w/ gardening all my life, but this year decided to "get serious" about it, and wouldn't you know we have had a all time record breaking year of heat and drought. I am planning on hot and dry next year, thinking this is probably the beginning of a hot dry cycle lasting a few years, so doing a lot of research on plants that are very early (hoping to get the harvest before it gets ridiculous) and heat and drought tolerant. Next years garden is going to have some unusual choices. :fl

Latest posts