Tomatoes in Your Garden

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have seen some of the TEG tomatoes. How about the others?

IMG_20160703_153651.jpg

Hey @marshallsmyth --- Amy Sue.

There are 4 plants, one in front, 3 behind. They sure like this warm weather! Their new growth is so strong, 8" or 10" with stems as thick as my finger.

Amy Sue may not be the biggest plants in my garden. That's probably the Big Beef. Still, they sure look like the healthiest!

I'll have to let them sprawl and hope the "stone mulch" protects the big, pink, beefsteak fruit. One season in my garden to go by but they were so nice in 2015! DW likes them. We will see. I'm standing them up to stiff competition ;).

Oh. I ate 2golden cherries today and a KImberley is ripening on the kitchen counter. Of course, I can probably fit my index finger and thumb around it but it's about ripe.

:D Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
broke out of my rut on tomatoes this season...
all the tomatoes this year are poorly trimmed up due to being away in conover.
cherry tomatoes.. both are from dw friend who we start his seeds for him. so far from what we have tasted both are a sweet type, not like some cherry tomatoes
so far the blue berry are the early one. they are a deep blue almost purple and once the start ripening they turn red.<kind of disappointed in that>
very heavy bearer ...seeds from baker creek
DSC_0034.JPG

then there are the lemon cherry vff hybrid they are just about to start ripening in force.
very heavy bearer.... seeds from tomato growers supply
DSC_0036.JPG

one thing i have learned about both is they need a lot of room and a big trellis system, they do not do well in a cage.. both have nice clusters of mators.
DSC_0037.JPG

another mater from dw friend is orange pixie vft hybrid seeds from tomato growers supply
about 2-3 in dia turn a light orange once ripe great on a salad or a sandwich no fuss cutting them no leftovers.
DSC_0033.JPG

again dw friend.. Japanese oxheart seeds from tomato growers supply
very interesting mator very frim little seeds excellent flavor
DSC_0040.JPG

of course the brandy wine mators from @journey11
they sure do produce large mators. one thing i have learned about them once they start ripening you need to pick them otherwise they split.
very taste mator going to save some seeds from them..
DSC_0043.JPG

and then there are my canning mators.. mariana f1 seeds from johnnys thank goodness i purchased 4 packets of them while on sale ..they have been discontinued.
very very heavy bearer you have to tie them up otherwise they will snap the whole branch <vine> off
this year have some monsters growing.
DSC_0044.JPG

had to install extra supports for the cherry, oxheart and brandy wine mator's early on could see them starting to lean..
hopefully the rain holds off for a day or two so i can spray a little fungicide on them with the high humidity we get early and late blight thats one of my concerns this year with unknown tomatoes especially this year not being able to prune them... you have to love a learning curve...
life is good below the 35th line...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
mariana f1 seeds from johnnys thank goodness i purchased 4 packets of them while on sale ..they have been discontinued.
Ruts are okay. You are entertaining olde friends by bringing them back, year after year :).

Mariana tomato seed is available from a number of seed companies, @majorcatfish . Johnny's is a great company, I've watched them grow just about from the start. Still, there are others to explore like ... Tomato Growers ;).

I've got 2, nearly-ripe, Yellow Jelly Beans ..! This is a 2nd year with them. I was so impressed with the health of the plants, last year. I checked - some outfits have them as a 72 day variety, others have them as 66 day. Super Sweet 100's are supposed to be 65 days ... I didn't find any of those changing color.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@majorcatfish your Mariano are F1's? Hybrids? Will have to look for them next year as I'm sure they out yield the open pollinated version. Do they taste as good though? After having San Mariano, no other paste tomato comes close in taste to me.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Brandywine Black were pretty disease resistant for me last year, the last plants hanging in there and producing after the others bit the dust.

Mine are just starting to bloom now, so I'll have to report later. I put out more Black Brandywine this year, Red Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, Sugar Plum Fairy, Golden Jubilee, Pink Berkeley Tie Dye, Better Boy, Sweet 100s, Chocolate Stripes, Delicious and Mr. Stripey. I'll go hit the U-picks for bushels of canning tomatoes. I tried really hard not to over do it and make myself too much to keep after this year. I usually put out around 60 plants, but only did a couple of each this year.

All this rain we are having I will have to spray for fungal diseases soon and often. Two days of rain and getting the mulching (mostly) done has really gotten things going.

Last edited:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@majorcatfish your Mariano are F1's? Hybrids? Will have to look for them next year as I'm sure they out yield the open pollinated version. Do they taste as good though? After having San Mariano, no other paste tomato comes close in taste to me.

the mariana is an f1 hybrid .... the reason i picked them 2 years was looking for a tomato that was highly disease resistant and it was more of a bush type, they stay nicely in the cages plus i wanted to try a determinate tomato.

tried the san marzano tomato very good tomato but once the humidity and high temps take over here the diseases wiped them out in a blink of an eye, the mariana still succumbs but it holds out a couple weeks longer.

the mariana has a much thicker skin almost all meat. as for taste we like them it would hard for me to judge between them since i not have both in front of me.

Latest posts