Tonights Meal

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We had fresh green beans, cucumbers, yellow tomatoes, summer squash casserole, and some grilled chicken breast for a wonderful meal. I LOVE garden fresh meals!!! Our early corn is tasseling and forming corn, half row potatoes dug and will leave the others as long as possible, so summer is on for gardening harvest.

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm so jealous. We are strting to get a few tomatoes from a plant w wintered-over, chard, kale, peas, radishes, lettuces, but no summer vegetables! But we are eating from the garden... I have a zuchini that is 3" long, so we'll be eating that in a couple of days!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
that sound very tasty retired! So far I have 2 tomatoes and some peppers, but I think some of the okra is ready to be cut. The cukes have plenty of flowers, and I have a lot of small squash. Maybe next week.

I just noticed that you have 150 chickens! Are they all layers? Wow! I have 8 and I can't imagine having 150!

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have 20 layers. The others I hatched this year. We will process about 30 for the freezer and will sell or give away most of the others. I like to keep 20-30 layers with my breeding roosters for next year. I sell a few dozen eggs a week to help pay for the huge food bill. lol

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yum-O I am so anxious to start harvesting. :fl Right now it is just lettuce, spinach and radishes. (Rhubarb and strawberries and asparagus about done.)

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wow the benifits of living in a southern state...our asparagas have gone by only because of all the rain we have been having I wasnt able to keep up with it so it went to fern...harvesting rhubarb had one lady stop by to see if I was still selling it [which I did last year] so I sold her some and then I have to give one of my church ladies a bunch so she can make rhubarb pies for the church fair... she'll freeze it till Aug then whip up some yummy pies... it has been very cool with all this rain and over cast so everything is languishing waiting on the sun and heat of summer...Taters are growing good and broccoli and cabbage are doing well under a row cover to keep out that white butterfly from laying her eggs on the cole crops...havent been able to get everything in the ground yet because of the rain...much too wet to work the dirt...

Latest posts